Buick Power steering noise

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
Buick Power steering noise

Post by redliner »

I have a very nice old Buick Park Ave 2001. It has a very loud noise coming from the power steering pump. I have had it replaced twice and it is actually louder now than before.... I know the place I bought the pumps is gonna say bring it in and we will replace it.... i still pay my guy to do it twice and it is still noisy..... Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Buick Power steering noise

Post by Keith Morganstein »

redliner wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:48 pm I have a very nice old Buick Park Ave 2001. It has a very loud noise coming from the power steering pump. I have had it replaced twice and it is actually louder now than before.... I know the place I bought the pumps is gonna say bring it in and we will replace it.... i still pay my guy to do it twice and it is still noisy..... Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
Not a Buick, but on a Volvo, I had a rack and pinion introducing air into
the system. Replaced a pump, seemed better for a week, then
noisy, the fluid foamy and hard steering.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 pm
redliner wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:48 pm I have a very nice old Buick Park Ave 2001. It has a very loud noise coming from the power steering pump. I have had it replaced twice and it is actually louder now than before.... I know the place I bought the pumps is gonna say bring it in and we will replace it.... i still pay my guy to do it twice and it is still noisy..... Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
Not a Buick, but on a Volvo, I had a rack and pinion introducing air into
the system. Replaced a pump, seemed better for a week, then
noisy, the fluid foamy and hard steering.
I hear many do this. Steers ok just sounds like a drone is following.....
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

We bought a nice 94 Camry for my daughter and after a while was leaking 1/2 quart of ATF (cheaper than PS fluid) from the rack every week. Replaced pressure hoses with no change, the mechanic said he found the rack boots full of fluid. Added 1/2 bottle of Lucas PS Fixer and the drips stopped within a week and has been good for over a year now. The Lucas product could be a cheap experiment if it's a seal or a hose fitting leak.
Dave
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

I worked for Chrysler for 20 yrs,mid 2000 mini van would drone excessively because the p/s pump also went to a hydrolic fan,a cooler and whatever looked good at the time. The cooler was part of the a/c condenser, genius I tell you.
A tsb or a approved fix was atf friction modifier. Believe it or not it did work.
Our atf 4 was loaded with it so sometimes we would flush the system and add atf with a spike of modifier. Any transmission supply or shop should have some to give a try.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Maybe check to see if the PS pulley is installed all the way. If it's even .020" or so from being installed all the way, the belt will make noise.
Joe Facciano
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Many years back when I had my Valiant with the SL6, I replaced the alternator multiple times because the bearings were failing. They were rebuilt and sold by a chain store. They gladly replaced them but I didn't like the time involved in removing and replacing them. Then I went to a local parts store with knowledgeable owners who explained to me that many rebuilders will not use all new components (ie, the old bearings were being reused). My WAG is that you should buy a brand new pump -- my apologies if that is what it was.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

All valid suggestions.

A couple other thoughts come to mind here reading your post.
Not all power steering systems use ATF. Tranny fluid will foam heavily and will be difficult to impossible to purge air from the system. Air will cause P/S pumps to make noise.
Next if there could be some component (like the rack) putting metal into the system. It could be causing problems with the new pumps. If there is metal contamination it should be obvious with close inspection.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
underhead valve

Post by underhead valve »

Some cars with plastic reservoir have a filter screen, if it gets torn it cam make fluid in there swirl and suck air into the fluid making the pump noisey
Alkyfool

Post by Alkyfool »

x2 for the damaged plastic reservoir. I had my new Dodge back for service and they punched a hole in it to get the fluid out. Never got better til I replaced the reservoir. The plastic is a oil separator and remove some of the foaming. Used the correct fluid also with the ATF modifier.

More recently I had a 2008 Chev Impala that started making noise. Flushed is and worked endlessly to get rid of a noise that would come back after getting warmed up. Looked for leaky hoses or fittings that might suck air. Finally, replaced the cap and the noise stopped.
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

The 3.1/3.4L variants have issues with the power steering lines coming lose or not getting put back in correctly along the passenger side of the engine and the belt rubs on one or both until there's a hole. I realize you'd probably notice a leak. Just thought I would throw it out there.