Sticking starter drive bendix

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

tresi
Pro
Pro
Sticking starter drive bendix

Post by tresi »

I having a rather strange starter drive Bendix issue. Late model 350 Chevy with a permanent magnet starter. Cranking the engine over with the ignition off like setting the valves it works and ok. Start the engine and the drive Bendix hangs up in the flex plate until you rev the throttle. Tried all combinations of none, 1/64, 1/32th, and 1/16th ,or what ever the 3 standard shims are, shims under both bolts. It looks good with no shims. Starter is new. I know people that have had this problem and just kept taking the starter back until they got one that wouldn't stick. I've moved since I bought this starter so I'm not driving 360 mile to take it back. Any ideas?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Sticking starter drive bendix

Post by Geoff2 »

I had a similar problem & it was the starter. The starter pinion only turns in one direction freely. I found it was tight to turn. The problem was the alum mounting block was assembled too tight, needed a shim between the mounting block & the starter body.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Thanks, I'll check into that
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Well I succeeding in finding out what does not work. I have always used a Ford starter relay inline with the battery cable on GM's and install a jumper between the battery terminal and the switch terminal for several reasons. This has always worked for me. My friend convinced me to use a late model permanent magnet starter for better header clearance and starting power. What was happening was the permanent magnet starter became a generator once the engine started and energized to solenoid keeping the starter engaged until the engine finally spit the Bendix out and the starter then stopped spinning. Wired it up with a separate wire for the switch terminal and now it works fine.