Cam dynamics

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

vega1
Cam dynamics

Post by vega1 »

I have 2 cams from cam dynamics, I am trying to identify the specs on them such as lift and other info., the numbers I have on the cams is 95F2A and 94D2A if someone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you vega1
Chipster

Re: Cam dynamics

Post by Chipster »

Call Steve Huggins, Huggins Cams, Olive Branch MS 662-895-8482 he ran the shop at Cam Dynamics
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

I don't think those are camshaft part numbers/grind numbers.

I think those numbers identify the core and are probably "stamped" into the cam. The part number/grind number(s) are usually etched in, using an engraving type device.

Are there ANY other numbers, letters, etc.?
Project Greenlight
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Didn't Crane buy Cam Dynamics" And if so, call them because I would think that they should have the info in their historical files.

Otherwise, mock them up in a block and use a dial indicator and a big timing wheel and pointer to find out what they are.

Or use a, "Cam Doctor"!!

pdq67

PS., off topic, but anybody have a list of what Crane ended up with through the years??

There's CWC or CMC(?), Elgin, Clevite, Wolverine Blue Racer, Cam Dynamics, Cam Motion, General Kinetics, etc., etc., but I don't remember what Crane owns?

I am sure that UDHarold, (if he was still with us), could tell me off the top of his head..

I found this..

"Re: General Kinetics Cams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here ya go straight from a person you can contact.

Quote:

Ron,

Don't apologize....I sometimes think threads for him were meant for me, too...
Since you asked, I'll give everyone a very short history of me, so you'll know where I came from.
1969---Went to work for State of Mississippi as computer operator, rose to be lead operator at CDPA, Central Data Processing Agency.
1972---Began working on cam design program in my spare time.
Dec 15, 1972---Sold 310AP SBC solid to Reed Cams, Georgia, for $125.00.
1973---Made $3000 selling to Reed, Isky, Engle, Norris.
1974---Designed Reed's RxxxULX line of rollers, and a lot more, including Benny Parson's 1975 Daytona 500-winning cam. Also Sheryl(Sp?) Greer's TF/FC NHRA National Champion Nitro Funny car cam, designed for Norris, and it was a True Chrysler flat tappet, with .438" lobe lift.
1974---Became General Kinetics' cam designer, worked with people like Bill Jenkins and Jack Roush on the cams for their Pro-Stockers.
1976---Jenkins wins Pro Stock National Championship, with GK doing large-barrel cams.
1977---I start in January with Competition Cams, as their original cam designer. Over the next 3 years, I design them hundreds of cams, including the 268 High Energy. I introduce them to the unsymmetrical cam.
1979---I write them their 1st in-house cam design program. Before that, we shared a program with Cam Dynamics.
1980---After negotiating since late 1976 for some stock ownership in Competition Cams, I leave and start UltraDyne on April 1st, 1980. The 1st month I design the 288/296F5 and the 288/296R6, the 2 most popular cams I ever made.
1981---In September, I hire my 1st employee, Mike O'Neal, who ran my shop, made all my models and masters, etc.
1982---We're running 2 shifts, from 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Tim Goolsby comes to work for me, he is Mike's brother-in-law. I also design UltraDyne's first hydraulic cams, such as the 272, the 276, the 288/296H.
From then on until 2000, we all just worked. UltraDyne grossed over $1.2 Million a year from 1990 to 1999.
2000---A number of independent factors began to take their toll---Federal Mogul acquiring my 2 major solid lifter core manufacturers, and their later Chapter 11, Lifter companies disappearing, tremendous cash-flow problems in the end of 2000, initially triggered by the UPS strike---We lost around $50,000 in the strike.
2001---A un-named cam company in Memphis hires 8 of my 12 employees, and 2 more just leave because they think --that's it. Only Tim and Gail are left with me.
2001-2003---UltraDyne is in the Chapter 11 'Death Spiral'. I take a $0 salary for 2002, and pump all my, and my wife's, retirement money into UltraDyne, along with all the equity I could get on my house, etc, etc, etc.
June 2003---Everything is gone, the government locks the doors.
August 2003---I go to work at Lunati, charged with completely re-doing their entire line of cams. Mike is already there, waiting for me, along with Steve Slavik, who worked for me for 13 years (Mike for 19...). Then I meet the corporate world.....
Oct 2004---Lunati introduces the VooDoo cams. And they really work good.....

This has been the line and times of a cam designer, and even with the down sides, it has been the time of my life, and I'm going to stay at it as long as I can.....

No comments are necessary, you are all a great bunch, and as that Great American, Minnie Pearl, said, "I'm just so proud to be here!"

Thanks,

UDHarold"

And later, Harold got back into camshaft design and did so up until his passing.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

How did this thread turn out?

Did you find out what you wanted to know?

Just wondering is all.

pdq67