Waukesha D176 crank failure???

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Chipped tooth
Pro
Pro
Waukesha D176 crank failure???

Post by Chipped tooth »

Just picked up a Clark off-road forklift for the shop the other day that needs engine work

Any ways I just pulled the engine tonight and found the crank broken right behind #1 journal

Along with 1 balance shaft gear ground up from a loose shaft bushing and the balance shaft drive gear missing a few teeth

Is this a common problem with this style engine?

It was previously rebuilt by Grindstaff engines so everything else looks fairly new
They must not have crack checked the crank before installing
You can clearly see it was cracked for a while.
Chipped tooth
Pro
Pro
Re: Waukesha D176 crank failure???

Post by Chipped tooth »

Forgot to mention it's Lpg model
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I think intermittent firing during shutdown or startup from lack of maintenance will produce spikes that concentrate forces in these areas (likely high reverse torsion forces). On the 300 SDL (automotive) I think it was also the reason for the high failure rate of the serpentine belt tensioner.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

Chipped tooth wrote:Just picked up a Clark off-road forklift for the shop the other day that needs engine work

Any ways I just pulled the engine tonight and found the crank broken right behind #1 journal

Along with 1 balance shaft gear ground up from a loose shaft bushing and the balance shaft drive gear missing a few teeth

Is this a common problem with this style engine?

It was previously rebuilt by Grindstaff engines so everything else looks fairly new
They must not have crack checked the crank before installing
You can clearly see it was cracked for a while.
Could have been from fan belt being to tight seen it many times crank breaks on #1 because crank is being pulled up wards by to tight of a fan belt shaft is turning off center and breaks