Hardox for starter ring gear?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

turbobaldur
Pro
Pro

Hardox for starter ring gear?

Post by turbobaldur »

I'm considering getting a starter ring gear machined on a water jet machine for a custom application, I'm wondering if hardox is a good material for it.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Re: Hardox for starter ring gear?

Post by BCjohnny »

Not necessary. Any flame hardening medium carbon steel, EN8 (1045) for example, will get it done. Try to just harden the teeth section, ~45-50 HRC. Don't anneal it sweating it on.

Rub a file over an OE ring gear some time, you'll see it's not that hard. There is a reason.

[OE gears are usually rolled circular from rectangular bar & welded prior to machining]
turbobaldur
Pro
Pro

Post by turbobaldur »

In that case the question becomes if A284 is a suitable material. I don't have a great selection of alloys locally available. There's hardox or domex as used for hard wearing surfaces in mining equipment and then there's mild steel, A284 or E360B.
The question really is, is there a reason not to use a hard wearing steel for this?
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

turbobaldur wrote:In that case the question becomes if A284 is a suitable material. I don't have a great selection of alloys locally available. There's hardox or domex as used for hard wearing surfaces in mining equipment and then there's mild steel, A284 or E360B.
The question really is, is there a reason not to use a hard wearing steel for this?
Without checking the specs, haven't a clue. 'Brittleness' of the relatively small teeth will become an issue with some materials, for obvious reasons. Ring gears are much softer/ductile than starter pinions because it's the best compromise. Absolute 'hardness' of the ring gear per se is not the issue.

EN8 etc, or a selection of the 104x &105x medium tensile hardenable steels should be suitable (caveat; obviously up to you to confirm for yourself prior to using), they shouldn't be exactly expensive or hard to come by, even accepting your location. Using materials for specific tasks just because you have access to them can be a bit of a lottery .......