Engine Timing and The SUN

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Underdog
Engine Timing and The SUN

Post by Underdog »

What can I do to see engine timing at the track under the sun light, I tried it and it was almost impossible to set it. Any ideas? I tried making a bit of shadow with a cardboard but nothing :-k I have an 8992 MSD timing light.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Engine Timing and The SUN

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I am guessing it uses a Xenon bulb, the spectral output of which is valued because it is similar to that of the sun. Now this following suggestion is a wild guess -- meaning that I do not know if it will work for you -- but you might try duct taping in place different color filters over the timing light lens. I am assuming you do not have some form of color blindness to complicate matters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orion-Color-Fil ... 43cf55a34b

There are also timing lights that are advertised as being visible in full sunlight.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

I will try your idea Kevin, something is better than nothing at all and no I'm not color blind. LOL
Thank You!!!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Are you sure the timing light isn't just plain worn-out?

When I bought a Mac timing light, it was so much brighter than the elderly Craftsman it replaced I could hardly believe it. That Mac unit itself is now a thousand years out-of-production.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Howzit guys i know it is a old thread but put a piece of hose over your timing light it works like a tunnel and bringing the light closer to your pionters. Another i saw was changing the lens ,which is like a mgnifying glass to one that enlarges more giving more light. Ive never tried it but ive used the hose extension.
hope it helps you as wel
cheers
chevyfreak
Bowtie for life
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Paint pointer and timing mark on balancer with a dab of bright day glow paint...
old_chopper

Post by old_chopper »

A long long time ago I saw the crew checking the timing on Bob Gliddens car in a hot Ennis, Texas sun. They had an old blanket they held over the mechanic to shield out the sun.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

I use reflective pinstripe tape. I'm still using a roll I bought in 1978, but here's a link:
http://www.reflectivedecals.com/stripes.htm