Moderator: Team

dave brode
Expert
Expert

tag requirements for trailer towing Maryland

Post by dave brode »

Gents,

Argument with a buddy:

I say that the tags on the truck cover the weight carried by the wheels on the truck, and the trailer tags cover the weight carried by the trailer.

He says that you need enough tag on the truck for the total weight.

I've looked and looked for the answer.

Dave
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Re: tag requirements for trailer towing Maryland

Post by dave brode »

p.s. - should have mentioned: We are arguing about tag requirements for rigs of less than 20K lbs. Typical 1/2 to 1 ton pu and open or box trailer.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

I've read that answer before on MD's MVA web site, so I went there to give you a link and they have "updated" it so now I can't find anything useful on topic, sigh. So, I can't give you an authoritative source, I can just tell you what I have experienced. I have a 3/4 ton pickup (GMC 2500HD) any my title says 9200 lbs which matches the GVW sticker, and that's what sets the tag price. My old 1/2 ton pickup title said 7000 lbs and the tag was about $20 a year cheaper. I had a car hauler trailer for a few years, and that title said 6000 lbs which matched the GVW plaque on the trailer, and that set that tag price. So the tags are based on each vehicle separately. When you go to tow you have to make sure that you are within the GVW rating of the trailer with that load, and the tow vehicle's trailer rating for the total of trailer weight plus trailer load but that's not on the truck GVW sticker, I don't think. I know that with the 6000 lb trailer I was still ok on the 3/4 ton, but with some of the larger toy hauler trailers I've looked at while dreaming I would be over my limit on the biggest ones. Hope this helps some.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/re ... n/fees.htm

Pickup tags [class E truck] are 7K or 10K. Heavier class E trucks are listed as GVW and GCW.

In other words, if your rig weighed a total 10,001 lbs, would you need 11K worth of tag, regardless of the weight on the truck's wheels?

Dave
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Yes, you are right, the sticker on the truck says 9200 but the title says 10000. I just remember when I moved the tags from the 1/2 ton to this 3/4 ton they didn't change that at first and it still said 7000 lbs, so I made them change it so it was right. I thought they put 9200 on the title, but guess not. Anyway, the answer to your question is that for the purpose of tags each vehicle stands alone.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Carl,

Understood on the truck's tow rating meeting the weight towed. Although I'm not sure that the MVA would regulate you there, like the weight cops would.

Fwiw, I do know that a buddy has a tool body truck that weighed a little over 10,000 so it was titled as 11,000 lbs GVW.

The issue here is, if ANY vehicle or tow rig has a weight of over 10,000, by law, it must stop at weigh stations in Maryland, commercial vehicle or not. Say it weighs 12,000 combined weight. If they were to look at the tags on the truck, and they are 10,000 lb tags, will they see it as illegal?

Dave
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Uhh, dunno :-). I have a friend with a 3500 dually who routinely tows a 24' enclosed trailer with racecar inside, and I know he is over 10000 lbs actual weight for the combined rig. Rated GVW is probably something like 9800 lbs for the truck (adding 500 lbs to my 3/4 ton rated at 9200 lbs plus some for the dually; I'm sure he is under 10,000 lbs but just barely) and a guess of 8000 lbs for the trailer for a total of 17,800 lbs. He has never stopped at a weigh station, and I've never noticed any other RV type combo pulling into a weigh station, only big trucks and semis. I'm sure you are right about the 1000 lb steps, so a 10,001 lb rated truck would be titled and tagged as 11000 lbs.
Anyway, it's one thing to talk about this theoretically without all the facts but if you are actually going to drive in MD I think you should call the state police and ask them, since they are in charge of enforcement.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Did a little more digging and found this mdot site: http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Office%20o ... AQ.html#Q8. The answer they give just says "vehicle", which to me is ambiguous and could mean 10,000 GVW for tow vehicle and 10,000 GVW for trailer instead of the sum, but it has a link to the MD motor carrier handbook which does explicitly say that if you have a truck plus trailer combination with a combined actual weight or a GCWR over 10,000 lbs you must pull into open weigh stations (FAQ # 25 on page 15). Glad we had this conversation, as I'm sure I've driven past a few weigh stations and never realized I was supposed to pull in. I'm also going to have a talk with my friend.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

I called MSP, talked to a Sargent. He said, you did NOT need tags on the truck to cover the GCW. As long as weight carried by the tuck is no higher than the truck is tagged for, and the trailer is tagged to cover the weight on the trailer = good to go.

That was right after I talked to someone at the MD MVA, who told me that I DID need tags on the truck to cover the GCW.

I tend to trust the ST Police Sgt more than someone answering a phone at the MVA, but I would like to see it in writing.

Dave
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Glad to see the trooper agreed with what I posted above from the MDOT manual. Go to the mdot link I posted and download the motor carrier manual, then look starting on page 35. Basically if the trailer is under 20,000 GVW it gets registered by GVW and the truck gets separately registered by its GVW, and the truck is class E like a pickup truck. Trailers rated above 20,000 lbs are freight trailers and get registered by GCW and get pulled by bigger trucks than class E. Here's the text:

4. REGISTERING TRUCK/TRAILER COMBINATIONS
When a truck is operated in combination with a freight trailer
or semi-trailer, the truck shall be registered for the GCW of the
truck and the trailer or semi-trailer if the trailer is in excess of
20,000 pounds.
The fee for this combination is the same as shown for a single
unit truck. When operating as a single unit, you are limited to
the GVW as selected by you and indicated on your
registration card.
When operating in combination, the weight of your vehicles
may not exceed the registered weight, or applicable axle
and/or gross vehicle/combination weights as determined by
the Bridge Formula. For information on axle and Bridge
Formula weights, refer to Chapter XIV in the Handbook.
5. REGISTERING TRACTOR/TRAILER COMBINATIONS
The annual registration fee is based on the maximum GCW of
the truck tractor and trailer as follows:
GROSS WEIGHT FEE (PER 1,000 POUNDS OR
CATEGORIES (IN FRACTION THEREOF)
POUNDS)
40,000 (Minimum) - 60,000 $ 21.00
60,001 - 80,000 (Or more)* $ 22.50
*The maximum allowable GCW in Maryland is 80,000 pounds
The annual registration renewal cycle for these vehicles is
staggered.
6. REGISTERING FREIGHT TRAILERS
For a freight trailer or semi-trailer used in combination with a
truck or truck tractor, the registration fee is $38.25 (includes
motor freight and farm trailers over 20,000 pounds). An eightyear
registration is optional for owners of trailer and semi-trailer
fleets of five or more.
7. REGISTERING NON-FREIGHT TRAILERS AND FARM
VEHICLES
Maximum gross weight limits and fees for non-freight trailers and
farm vehicles are available by calling the MVA. A non-freight
trailer is a vehicle designed for towing by:
 A passenger vehicle
 Multi-purpose vehicle
 Class “E” truck
If towed by a Class “E” truck, the trailer shall have a GVW of
20,000 pounds or less. If towed by a Class “A” passenger
vehicle or Class “M” multi-purpose vehicle, the trailer shall have
a GVW of 10,000 pounds or less and be:
 A boat trailer
 Camping trailer
 House trailer
 Utility trailer
Single unit trucks may be registered as farm trucks, and truck
tractors may be registered as farm truck tractors providing the
applicant is a farmer and specifies the vehicle’s proposed use.
A farm truck or farm truck tractor may not be used for-hire,
except to haul farm products for another farmer.
“For a non-freight trailer with a maximum gross weight limit (in
pounds) of 10,001 to 20,000 that is titled on or after October 1,
2005:
(i) The fee is $124.00; and
(ii) The vehicle shall be registered in one of the following
weight ranges:
 10,001 to 11,000
 11,001 to 12,000
 12,001 to 13,000
 13,001 to 14,000
 14,001 to 15,000
 15,001 to 16,000
 16,001 to 17,000
 17,001 to 18,000
 18,001 to 19,000
 19,001 to 20,000”
(“The Maryland Vehicle Law,
Title 13, §927”)

PS. Are you in MD, or maybe come to a MD drag strip? Would be nice to meet more speedtalkers in person. I'm just off I95 between Baltimore and DC.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Carl,

Thanks! I saw that link [days ago], but ASSumed it was for larger truck info.

Dave

p.s. -I frequent Mason-Dixon at Hagerstown. It's apx 1.5 hrs from here. Pittsburgh Raceway Park is actually closer to me.
I've been to Cecil, Capital and MIR, but not often.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

You're welcome. I've never been out to Mason Dixon. Went to 75-80 several times over the years but that was about an hour, and M-D is about 1.5 hours for me too. Capitol is about 20 miles so that's where I go most, but I like Cecil a lot as well. If you make it out this way in the future, give me a shout. Duh, just saw the "Frostburg" in your info. Sigh, one day I'll learn to read :-).
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

LOL, I saw your location and updated my profile to include mine 1/2 hr ago. Tried to send you a PM, no button.

On the topic, I suppose that I'm armed with proper info. Thanks again for the input.

Dave