Fluid and Air Dynamics

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

racer189
Fluid and Air Dynamics

Post by racer189 »

Can anyone help me with finding Fluid or Air Dynamics software programs that a non engineer can use?
CFD_Man
Post by CFD_Man »

There may be, but since the problem definitiion is complex, there will be real limits to how simple the software could be.

While there are definitely non-engineers who could learn the professional verstions, you will at a very minimum have to be very good at modeling and manipulating 3D forms and surfaces in 3D CAD programs just for starters.

I do Computational Fluid Dynamics as a significant part of my work, and have experiance with a number of different programs. But none of these are affordable for a typical casual user (10K-30K). Since the problems being solved are complex, things like setting up appropriate upstream and boundary conditions, etc. to get reliable results takes knowledge and experience. If you are ready to take this on, I can offer further assistance.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

What information are you wanting to find from software? Most CFD software requires a fair amount of math and physics background.
racer189
Post by racer189 »

Even an entry level or teaching type of software may work for us. We are looking to learn about air and fluid dynamics and how changes in shapes effect their respective drag? Is their a "Aerodynamics/Fluid Dynamics for Dummies"? :roll:

We want to use the software to help us make our race boat more efficient with respect to air and water drag. Our speed is around 100 mph so we do have significant air and water resistance?