Battery Recommendation

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

d64falcon
Pro
Pro

Battery Recommendation

Post by d64falcon »

Im looking to change the Battery in my Drag only car. Small block with MSD 6, thinking of changing to digital 7. Will have trans brake next year and no altenator.

This car has used 160# CAT 8d batteries for over 30 years. I dont mind using it as ballast to keep the car at 3000# but I want that 9.99 time slip next year. Only other battery i have ever used is Optima red top and i see they have several to choose from. At what point does a car need two batteries
Darrell
67 Mustang 3000# 310ci NA 10.17 130.5mph,1.36 60'
user-3597028

Re: Battery Recommendation

Post by user-3597028 »

If you don't have an alternator, you may need two batteries. Any time the voltage drops below 11 volts, the ignition will suffer. I run a optima red top in my drag car, with an alternator. I have never had a problem and it works great. Now, I run two classes and usually two gambler races as well, so I sometimes switch batteries with my hauler mid-day. It has a red top too. Have had days where I made over 20 passes so this is just a little extra insurance.

You really need to add up all the draw you are going to put on it and the time it will be used, then you can get an idea on if a battery has enough reserve power or if you need two.

I have a 10 year old optima res top from our dragster that I use as a back up battery around the shop and it still holds a charge as well as a new one.
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Post by Horndog »

Have you considered running a 16V battery?
Jim Horner
d64falcon
Pro
Pro

Post by d64falcon »

I have thought about 16v but you have to buy 16v charger? Guess im not happy with the charger i have. The settings on it are 2/40/60 amp. The other thing i didnt know about 16v is it ok to have 16 volts going to everything or just to starter. Do i need voltage regulater to light bulbs?
Darrell
67 Mustang 3000# 310ci NA 10.17 130.5mph,1.36 60'
user-3597028

Post by user-3597028 »

Many 16 volt batteries are terminated for 12 volt as well. They just have a lug that is not all the way to the end cell.
rce4csh
Pro
Pro

Post by rce4csh »

Odyssey battery! Well suited for this kind of application and not subject to the pitfalls of a spiral cell configuration. While Optimas and the like are well liked by many consumers, the high end/high output alternator people are not that fond of them. Most will not warranty an alternator failure when that alternator is used with an Optima type spiral cell battery. My in-laws are in this line of work. Odyssey build batteries for the military as well as high power demand applications. I run one in my big block CJ-7 in a one battery only heavy winching situation. Works flawlessly. Have had six of them linked together in my diesel pusher motorhome for house power. They have been there running my 12V to 110V inverter for seven years now with no failures. Many claim 10 year life span. I have not reached that yet with the ones I own, but I have not had to replace any so far.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Use an Odyssey in my street rod because of tiny space. Works great! Cost a lot! The best thing I ever did to my last S/G car was put a mini alternator on the thing. It made racing so much more fun. I'm slowly building a 125" alcohol altered for one last gasp at the 1/4 mile and I guarantee it will have an alternator lurking in there somewhere.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Post by Horndog »

d64falcon wrote:I have thought about 16v but you have to buy 16v charger? Guess im not happy with the charger i have. The settings on it are 2/40/60 amp. The other thing i didnt know about 16v is it ok to have 16 volts going to everything or just to starter. Do i need voltage regulater to light bulbs?
Yes, a 16V battery does require a 16V charger. When charging the battery, it puts out over 18 volts so you need to have all other electrical components turned off as many aren't designed to handle this much voltage.

You can have 16 volts going to everything. I ran Turbo Start 16V batteries in my car for over ten seasons and never hurt an electrical component. Never burned out a light bulb - gauge or vehicle light. Drag car only, just like yours. Everything will like the added voltage. It will crank over faster, there is more voltage on the primary side of the coil so the spark will have a bit more juice, the elec water pump and cooling fan(s) will run faster. You'll need quality components, no junk. No alternator on my car either, just charged the battery between the early rounds and when we got to going round-robin, just let the fan and water pump run while I topped of the fuel cell with alky. One night, went the last five rounds w/o charging the battery and never a problem. Turned on the win light that night.
Jim Horner