Dry Sump System Oil Cooler

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

rayhall
Dry Sump System Oil Cooler

Post by rayhall »

Hello,

I have a Audi V10 engine from the Audi RS6. This engine is dry sump from the factory. I am fitting the engine to another car. The RS6 had a engine oil cooler. This was fitted in the line from the scavenge pump and the oil tank. I do not have the oil cooler or tank. I am looking to buy them.

I have searched on dry sump oil coolers, and the few I have seen used are fitted after the engine oil pressure pump. Most used oil coolers with -10 or -12 fittings and hoses. This is much smaller then the oil lines out of the scavenge pump which are around -16 in size. Also pictures of the Audi oil cooler seem to show big hoses.

My question is this. As the oil cooler is between scavenge pump and tank, will I have to make the lines and oil cooler much bigger then -12.

Thank you.

Ray.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Re: Dry Sump System Oil Cooler

Post by KnightEngines »

Ray, it's usually not necessary to use a cooler if you use a goodly sized tank - a Peterson 2 gal (11L) tank is what I normally use.
Large capacity & alloy tank seems to keep everything cool, in fact a couple of my circuit engines use heating pads on the tank to get the oil up to temp before starting, coz otherwise they take a looooong time to reach temp.

If you do need a cooler then a minimum of -12 line should be used, preferably -16, worst case you could use 2x small coolers & split a -16 into 2x -12 with before & after Y fittings.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Dry Sump System Oil Cooler

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Audi-S ... Sw43hZ-exT

Oil to water heat rejection. Just contact the seller and explain what you are looking for and it is very likely they will have the parts.

Another advantage of this setup is that the engine oil is warmed quickly. Remember that these cars are engineered to travel all day long at 150mph plus in all four seasons.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!