Releasing the brake and NOT mashing the thottle?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

ralph85
Releasing the brake and NOT mashing the thottle?

Post by ralph85 »

Measure your reation time by JUST releasing the brake and NOT mashing the thottle?

Viewing my data logs, i noticed that rpm don't start to rise until about 1.5 tenths of a second after i hit the throttle. That seems like a long time and would lead me to conclude that releasing the brake is at least as important as hitting the gas pedal on time. I have found that i release the brake about .025 later than i hit the gas, but at least it's usually pretty consistent.

Thoughts/Comments???
Ralph
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Are you launching using foot brake?

starting line rpm vs flash rpm vs stall speed has a lot to do with this reaction time you are talking about. A converter good for foot brake may not be good for launching the same car with a transbrake and vice versa.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
ralph85
Post by ralph85 »

Maybe i didn't make clear what i'm suggesting. Based on my logs i see it takes the engine almost 2 tenths to start to build rpm after the thottle is open (nothing to do with the converter). This leads me to believe that releasing the brake may be as important if not more important than hitt'n the gas on time. I wanted to try just releasing the brake and not hitt'n the throttle to see what knid of an effect it would have on my R/Ts, but i haven't had an opportunity to try as i'm still competing for a championship. Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this.

And yes, this is footbraking
Ralph
crash

Post by crash »

i don't get it? you need to be one the gas while your staged, with one foot one the brakes and one on the gas and there is no delay or you got big problems..
what kind of logs are you talking about? i log every run in a log book and if your refuring to reaction time being inconsitant i can see why.
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

If you do not hit the accelerator how can you compare the reaction time to the passes that you did hit the accelerator? the car will not launch as hard as it does when you hit the gas..(call me Mr. Obvious) Maybe I'm misunderstanding... :?