Questions for 8 year old Joey Kinnett

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Post by Guest »

I would like to ask what things does he think his parents have done that have really helped him succeed?
What advice would he give to other parents?
What advice would he give to other young people?
Gary Kinnett

Post by Gary Kinnett »

I apologize, it took me a couple of days to respond. Anyway, I asked Joey your questions. I put his/our response in blue.

I would like to ask what things does he think his parents have done that have really helped him succeed?
Joey said, "work on the car and stuff." He also said something about how we work to make the car fast. I think he is pretty much on track. Early on, like when Joey was 4 to about 6 years old, we were more reliant on his mood. He really didn't care how he finished. I don't think there is anything you can do to change that, so you just have to accept it. I have seen a lot of parents get upset because they knew their child wasn't trying. From what I saw, it didn't make any difference, wo why get upset. For the last few years, though, Joey is always there 100 percent. Now the pressure is on me to make everything I can perfect for him.
What advice would he give to other parents?
Joey said, "don't get mad at them because they lose a race." I totally agree. Joey gets mad enough at himself when something happens. I always try to point out what he did well and tell him, we'll get 'em next time.
What advice would he give to other young people?
Joey said, "get down on the line and up to the wall. If you get up too high, they will definitely pass you." He's right. Again, they don't get this too well at 5 or 6 years of age. But if you don't run the best line, as Joey is referring to an oval track where you get down in the turns and out to wall in the straights, you will probably get passed. If your high in the corner, there is usually someone else that wants that inside line.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Gary Kinnett
Kinnett Racing
PedalToTheMetalRacing.com