Pro Tree Tricks

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

sh0wtime37
Pro Tree Tricks

Post by sh0wtime37 »

Hello all, I am new to the site.

I play in a local series that uses a .400 pro tree. I'm on a foot brake and leave as soon as I see yellow. My RTs are horrible, near .7XXs consistently.

I am looking for opinions on getting off the line better with my current equipment. TH350, 3500-3800 stall. I usually load up the converter as much as the brakes will hold. I have a line lock but have never used it yet.

I just purchased a 2 step. I plan on gettting the 2 step RPM to a point that I can keep the car on the line comfortable with out creeping through the staging beams, and wiring the line lock to the same circuit.

My opinion is that the button will give me 2 tenths +/- compared to the rediculous pressure i now keep on the brake pedal, and my foot reaction time.

I would like some opinions on the topic.

Thanks.
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Re: Pro Tree Tricks

Post by BirdMan »

Shorten/limit front end up travel so pitch rotation time is less and car moves quicker. Smaller diameter front tires, we used to run 22x15 front runners with a .400 tree.
Dale C.
sh0wtime37

Post by sh0wtime37 »

I have plenty of tire so I might try that some.

Anybody else?

Anybody have a comment on the 2 step? is an improvement (not necessarily the actual .2secods) likely? I truely am slow to the pedal.
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

On the two step, get an adjustable dial one for your rpm variance as in below 4500 I believe. We use the over 4500 one.

Install two line locks, one on the front system and one on the rear system. Maybe a dbl pole/dbl throw switch on the front one to use for burnouts, and switch to both for staging/starting line holding with all 4 wheel brakes. Also install a brake system pressure gauge in front or rear. I use rear as I used to have a 5 speed and would use it for staging because car would settle down good. Use the same pressure all the time to keep car consistent.

I use a micro switch mounted down by the shifter, actually I have two, one short throw the the other with .250? throw to slow down launch time.

I get them from Graingers. The dk brown ones 3/4x3/4x2 1/2 long, two 8-32 bolt mounting holes, NO - normal open, NC - normal closed, Common - I use for power to switch and NO wired to TB, LL, (Rr brks, Frt brks through frt brk switch), 2 step.
Dale C.
sh0wtime37

Post by sh0wtime37 »

Good point about adjustment, I think i will return the 2 step and get the adjustable launch controller instead. looks like it does the same as you would hook up a 3 step, except one step is adjustable with the dials.

I have considered the 2nd line lock too. When I put in the first, someone talked me out of the second one.

Another post in this forum i just saw 2 days ago, was the first time I realized there were options for buttons (for delay times).

Now I am very anxious to try my new stuff out.
Trial n Error

Post by Trial n Error »

I found by watching the stage light (or lights) is very good.

When they go out, you go
fordman460

Post by fordman460 »

Trial n Error wrote:I found by watching the stage light (or lights) is very good.

When they go out, you go
Part of the O.P.'s statement covered that, "I'm on a foot brake and leave as soon as I see yellow.".
I am thinking you (Trial n Error) haven't driven a pro tree much.
sh0wtime37

Post by sh0wtime37 »

Well,

had the first outting, car ran great (all 12.0s on a 12.000 index) but my tree action was horrible. I couldn't find a good RPM to set the button at, so i was still stuck foot breaking for the most part.

Ended up with: +.2338, +.3689, +.3341, +.3971 (the .39 ended my day, opponent had a +.1128) made on more pass with a +.2630.

I hope to get out soon and practice some. To be Continued.
sh0wtime37

Post by sh0wtime37 »

Well unfortunately, didn't make it out for practice. Lost in the first round during the second meet. Good news is I stuck around and got in a few passes. Found an RPM for the 2 step, learned a bit about the affect roll out has on the car, laid down my best NA ET, and finally got the tune up close (by plug status). So next time I will have better info. RTs are coming down some. No +.3's any more. Even saw a +.09. To be continued.
sh0wtime37

Post by sh0wtime37 »

Well its a new season. I got the car figured out last year. Went to the adjustable dial on the two step. Won the 2nd to last race, and kept going. by the end of the season, I had it down pat. had one run I had a .0X light and went .12.01xx, the opponent was a little frustrated but oh well. I just kept stagin deeper till i worked out the rest of the RT delay. No rules against it so I will keep doing it.

We'll see if I can repeat in 2012.