what amber to leave on the tree when footbraking?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

jeffb
what amber to leave on the tree when footbraking?

Post by jeffb »

I realize that this is probably here somewhere in this forum, but I have been away from drag racing for 13 years. I have a street car, 68 Firebird, 455, TH 350 trans, 2800 RPM converter, 3.42 gears. Long story short: I will be footbraking the car; what amber light should I leave on the tree? I remember leaving as soon as the second amber comes on. Probably a dumb question, but just wanted some feedback on this.Thanks for any replies, JB
STK 758

Re: what amber to leave on the tree when footbraking?

Post by STK 758 »

JB, build yourself a blinder and leave off the bottom bulb. It makes it a .500 pro tree. Use the stock visor modified or build your own. You will want to back light the reverse side of the blinder at night with an amber 194 bulb. That takes away the glare of the previous yellow coming down at night. This works great for me.

Barry
Mmfh

Post by Mmfh »

What light you leave on depends on how hard your car jumps when you let off the brake. You are going to have to
experiment with that one. Just you and the car and the light.

Be conservative the first couple of times then start pushing it until you either blow the light or get it perfect.

Good Luck!
The Engineer

Post by The Engineer »

STK 758 wrote:JB, build yourself a blinder and leave off the bottom bulb. It makes it a .500 pro tree. Use the stock visor modified or build your own. You will want to back light the reverse side of the blinder at night with an amber 194 bulb. That takes away the glare of the previous yellow coming down at night. This works great for me.

Barry

/\ Most experienced foot-brakers (No-E) racers do exactly what Barry has suggested above. And as Barry has pointed-out, it's just the same reaction interval as a .500 Pro-Tree and will work with most food-brake cars. A lot of seat-time and practice comes next! :mrgreen:

Warren