Post by mitch » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Any recommendations for aftermarket gear set for 04 f150
Thanks Mitch

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: 8.8 ford ring and pinion

Post by Keith Morganstein » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:07 pm

You don’t say what the truck is being used for, but unless you’re doing something really hardcore, I’d go with the “Ford Performance” ring and pinion set.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o

mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32 am

Keith Morganstein wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:07 pm
You don’t say what the truck is being used for, but unless you’re doing something really hardcore, I’d go with the “Ford Performance” ring and pinion set.
Its bone stock

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 am

mitch wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32 am
Keith Morganstein wrote:
Its bone stock
Then you can't go wrong with the quality and value of the Ford Performance gear set. They come with a new crush collar and pinion nut.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o

mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32 am

Keith Morganstein wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 am
mitch wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32 am
Keith Morganstein wrote:
Its bone stock
Then you can't go wrong with the quality and value of the Ford Performance gear set. They come with a new crush collar and pinion nut.
What set up tool do you use and do the ford gears have pinion depth marked on them

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

The pinion depth is marked.

I have a few different tools.

The raytec tool is a good deal for doing one rear end.

With Ford Performance gears, pinion depth is almost always good with the stock pinion shim.
The backlash will be close if reusing the same carrier.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:09 pm

The last set of Ford Motorsport 8.8 gears I installed had no markings on the pinion, and in fact the end of the pinion wasn't even machined, so you couldn't measure depth even if you wanted to.

Furthermore, after I installed the R&P using all of the old shims as a baseline, the backlash was perfect and there wasn't a "pattern" to speak of, the gears wiped across the full tooth!

My mind was blown!

This was a couple years ago, did I think a 4.10 (might have been 3.73) for a V6-engined S197, along with a better driveshaft.

mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 am

peejay wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:09 pm
The last set of Ford Motorsport 8.8 gears I installed had no markings on the pinion, and in fact the end of the pinion wasn't even machined, so you couldn't measure depth even if you wanted to.

Furthermore, after I installed the R&P using all of the old shims as a baseline, the backlash was perfect and there wasn't a "pattern" to speak of, the gears wiped across the full tooth!

My mind was blown!

This was a couple years ago, did I think a 4.10 (might have been 3.73) for a V6-engined S197, along with a better driveshaft.
Yes I received mine yesterday and they had no markings on them. I pressed the bearing off the old pinion and it had a .020 shim which seems about .008-.010 less than what I would think it should have been. Anyone ever seen this
Thanks Mitch

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am

mitch wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 am
peejay wrote:

My mind was blown!

Yes I received mine yesterday and they had no markings on them. I pressed the bearing off the old pinion and it had a .020 shim which seems about .008-.010 less than what I would think it should have been. Anyone ever seen this
Thanks Mitch
"What it should have been" is whatever it takes to make the gears mesh correctly. If it's .020, then that was it.

Ericnova

Post by Ericnova » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:08 pm

peejay wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am
mitch wrote:
peejay wrote:

My mind was blown!

Thanks Mitch
"What it should have been" is whatever it takes to make the gears mesh correctly. If it's .020, then that was it.
Yep, the shim is there to match the gearset to the way the housing is machined, and not the way the gears are machined....for any given housing of this style(races press-fit into housing, rear cover type) nearly every ratio for that particular housing, like 8.8" Ford in this case, just about any ratio fitted into that particular housing will take the same shim within about .002", as the gears are made to a tighter tolerance than the housing machining is.
Yours may take .020", Joe's may take .025", Sam's may take .027"...but for each guy no matter what ratio he uses the shim will almost always stay the same as his original shim.

mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:19 am

Ericnova wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:08 pm
peejay wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am
mitch wrote:

Thanks Mitch
Yep, the shim is there to match the gearset to the way the housing is machined, and not the way the gears are machined....for any given housing of this style(races press-fit into housing, rear cover type) nearly every ratio for that particular housing, like 8.8" Ford in this case, just about any ratio fitted into that particular housing will take the same shim within about .002", as the gears are made to a tighter tolerance than the housing machining is.
Yours may take .020", Joe's may take .025", Sam's may take .027"...but for each guy no matter what ratio he uses the shim will almost always stay the same as his original shim.
Thats what I have also always seen. I have never seen one with a .020 shim , this rear end had been into before for another gear swap and the customer said that it just started whining a little after a year of driving which is hard for me to believe. Anyway I wound up using a.032 shim and it did not make any noise. 95% of the ones I have done took the same shim as factory but that .020 thru me off but I got it going
Thanks Mitch