Floor Shift Conversion - T85 Overdrive Transmission

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Floor Shift Conversion - T85 Overdrive Transmission

Post by enigma57 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:32 am

Have a question...... For my '57 Chevy sedan, I have decided to swap in a stronger Borg Warner T-85 3-speed transmission with the R-11 overdrive (came out of a '66 Ford truck). Floor shifts for these particular transmissions are hard to find now of days. So will need to get parts together and make my own mounting bracket for shifter. T-10 shift levers for side cover look like they will fit. May possibly need to shorten and rethread shifter rods depending on where new bracket positions shifter unit.

My question is really about which shifter mechanism to use. In the past, I have used a Hurst Synchro-Lock 3-speed shifter and I liked it. Others available used or NOS (all Hurst) include the Synchro-Lock, the Master Craft, the Indy and some used 'original OEM' types made by Hurst having no other designation as to type and in many cases, no adjustable stop bolts and jam nuts.

If using one of these 3-speed shifters, is the Synchro Lock the best unit to go with?

Also...... If I cannot locate a good 3-speed shifter unit...... Is there any reason why I cannot use a Hurst Competition Plus 4-speed shifter and only use the 2 levers and rods on the H-pattern portion (leaving the 'reverse' lever and rod of the 4-speed shifter unused)?

Thanks,

Harry

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Floor Shift Conversion - T85 Overdrive Transmission

Post by SupStk » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Its my opinion If you could find a syncro-lok it would be the shifter to use. The others you mentioned don't have the lock mechanism to prevent the low gear from overtravel and trying to engage reverse on the 1-2 shift. Also as mentioned the syncro-lok does have the stop bolts which is a bonus.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks, Monty! That was my thinking as well regarding 3-speed shifters. I like the Hurst Synchro Lock bestfor the reasons you mentioned. And if I cannot find a good Synchro Lock 3-speed shifter, I may be able to use a Competition Plus 4-speed shifter by utilizing only the 2 levers and rods on the H-pattern portion (leaving the 'reverse' lever on shifter unused).

Best regards,

Harry

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:15 am

Harry,

Did you get my PM come-back?

pdq67

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 am

Hi, pdq! Yes, just stopped by the forum and saw that you had sent me a PM. Sorry to be so long in responding. I don't stop by here every day and for some reason, no longer get an E-mail letting me know I have a PM. Only way I know is if I stop by, log in and check my mail box.

Sounds like the OD unit you got from Jack is plenty strong. Just put a transmission in front of it that will also take the power you plan on making and you should be good to go.

For my T-85 OD tranny...... This weekend, I managed to pick up a NOS Hurst Synchro-Loc in its original box off e-Bay. Its for another application. Will give it some thought and once I have figured out where I need to mount the shifer unit, will make my own mounting bracket. Biggest challenge will be clearing the OD solenoid and controls, so will need to raise the shifter unit enough for that. Would also like to mount the shifter towards the front of the transmission enough that I can keep my bench seat. Once I have it mounted and manage to locate some shifter levers that will work with the T-85 side cover...... If I can keep the arms straight, I'd like to scrounge up some threaded rods and 3/8" heim joints from McMaster Carr and connect the shifter. Will let y'all know how this works out.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 am

I had several 3 and 4 speeds in my 37 Chevy truck...The only part that really matters is the bracket backer the shifter bolts to...the parts that bolt it to the trans can be made or modified, the trans shift rods do work better with Heim ends..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks, Tony! That's pretty much what I was thinking, as well. This is the beastie in question...... Borg Warner T-85 N from a '66 Ford truck.....

I've got to find some levers that will work with the T-85 side cover (T-10 should be similar). Need to orient them so that they are both pointed upward. Then build mounting plate that positions shifter so it will clear the OD solenoid and controls.

And adapt the T-85 to my Chevy bellhousing. But that's another discussion altogether. :D

Best regards,

Harry

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:33 am

Harry,

Would you please hunt up a T-85/R-11 transmission for me on ebay or whatever. Unless there is an S-10 5-speed O/D transmission that is stronger that I don't know about, I don't think any of the smaller 3-speed O/D tanny's will hold my 496?

I don't ebay is why I ask is all.....

And fwiw, I corresponded with Autogear for quite a long time to try to get them to create a REAL Muncie 5-speed, up to the point that I thought that they were going get mad at me!

I even offered to help design it, what with my BSME!!

No go so then I found out about the LGT-700 5-Speed Manual Transmission.

Pricy, but it will hold my 496!

pdq67

PS, I haven't figured out if my PM's to you are getting sent??
Last edited by pdq67 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:42 am

enigma57 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 am
Thanks, Tony! That's pretty much what I was thinking, as well. This is the beastie in question...... Borg Warner T-85 N from a '66 Ford truck.....

I've got to find some levers that will work with the T-85 side cover (T-10 should be similar). Need to orient them so that they are both pointed upward. Then build mounting plate that positions shifter so it will clear the OD solenoid and controls.

And adapt the T-85 to my Chevy bellhousing. But that's another discussion altogether. :D

Best regards,

Harry
I looked hard into this when I still had my A833 MOPAR 4-speed transmission.

We can buy Lakewood and other's scattershields that will bolt up almost any transmission, but they are pricy.

This said, I don't know if GM's A833 bell-housing will bolt up a T-85 or not, but it might be worth looking into!!

As for a shifter mount, I bought an ebay NOS 3-speed P/U Indy/Mystery Shifter and made a Comp Plus 4-speed plate for it for my old P/U. It worked out fine.

pdq67

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:47 am

pdq, I found my T-85 over at the HAMB classifieds. Don't see any others there just now, but gave you a link in PM I sent you just now.

There are several on e-Bay just now, and I sent you links to those, as well.

Not sure what engine you will be using this behind but bear in mind that the great majority will be for Ford cars and trucks. Which is why I must also adapt mine to work behind GM bellhousing.

T-5 isn't strong enough even for most small block V-8s. If you want a transmission with overdrive gearing in 5th or 6th gear without a planetary gear such as the R-11 OD unit...... Look for one of the T-56 6-speed transmissions beefed up to Viper spec. They are expensive, but strong.

Yes, I am receiving your PMs and I will get back to you as soon as I can. For some reason, I no longer receive notices via E-mail that I have a PM here and I don't get by here every day to log in and check my PMs anyway.

When you get old like me, you value the things you have little of, time being chief amongst them. Life is too short to squander it sitting at a computer all day or jabbering on a cell phone or on 'social media'.

Which is why I don't own a cell phone and why I don't waste my time on 'social media'. No facebook and no twitting or tweeting or whatever the hell that stuff is. Reckon I've gotten along just fine these past 70 years without that stuff and see no need to complicate my life with it now.

And yes...... We unplugged from satellite and cable TV and went back to our antenna nearly 20 years ago, as well. We get all the stations we care to watch and without paying for it. Side benefit...... Once I stopped watching the media propagandists and their partisan political nonsense (correctly called 'fake news' now of days)....... My blood pressure dropped 20 points and I have a much more positive attitude about life in general. There are much more accurate sources for news available on the internet than the so-called 'mainstream media' anyway and that includes FOX as well. Besides...... The programming now of days seems geared mainly either towards people treating others badly or promoting 'alternative lifetyles'....... Presenting them as 'normal' in order to push that crap on others and gain undeserved acceptance for their aberrant behaviour. Who needs it? We'd rather watch reruns of our favourite shows from years past.

Best regards,

Harry

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Pdq, were the e-bay links toT-85 transmissions of any help?

Hope so,

Harry