Weak manual transmission, how to strengthen?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Weak manual transmission, how to strengthen?

Post by ptuomov » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:10 pm

I've got a weak manual transmission (more precisely, five-speed transaxle). It's old, about 30 years or so. Spare parts are insanely expensive, when available. What can be done to make it handle more torque? The center-to-center distance between the main and lay shafts should stay constant, and I want to keep it five speed. What to do?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Weak manual transmission, how to strengthen?

Post by PackardV8 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Describe the failure modes and that will point toward what might be possible.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:23 pm

PackardV8 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:18 pm
Describe the failure modes and that will point toward what might be possible.
Gears come out the drain plug hole in small pieces.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU

bigblockmopar

Post by bigblockmopar » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Can you weld shut the drain plug to prevent that? :wink:

Are you sure this isn't a "design-fault" that the trans can't handle more torque?
Can you beef-up the bearings saddles in someway?
Use custom gears (with maybe a changed pitch angle)?

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:59 pm

bigblockmopar wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:33 pm
Can you weld shut the drain plug to prevent that? :wink:

Are you sure this isn't a "design-fault" that the trans can't handle more torque?
Can you beef-up the bearings saddles in someway?
Use custom gears (with maybe a changed pitch angle)?
The transmission was poorly designed as the idiot designer didn’t anticipate the inevitable situation in which someone decides to put 2.5x the stock peak torque thru the transmission a quarter century later.

Bearing saddles as in the bores in the aluminum case that accept the shafts? One might be able to bore some of those larger and interference fit in steel sleeves/inserts and then bore those exactly at the right location and “square” such that the shafts are exactly parallel and the exactly right distance from each other.

Cooling the aluminum case would help against extreme thermal expansion and shafts pulling apart, but the latest failure was with the transmission at about ideal temperature.

Why would changing the pitch angle of the gears make a big difference? An honest question, I don’t know much about gears.

gunt

Post by gunt » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 pm

polish and chryo everything

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:22 pm

gunt wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 pm
polish and chryo everything
I haven’t seen much credible evidence in favor of cryogenic treatments, but, hey, any port in a storm! ;-)

Micropolishing or superfinishing or whatnot the gears makes sense.

The next set of weak factory gears (probably about $4000 per set) will get systematically checked for cracks before anything else is done.

I think but don’t know that the problem is not so much shafts pushing towards the end bearings, it’s more the basic problem if torque and the gears pushing the shafts away from each other. So I don’t think reducing the gear helix angle will really help that much?

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Here are example failures from one transmission:
DSCF5088.JPG
DSCF5086.JPG
DSCF5085.JPG

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:50 pm

Here's another one that hasn't been opened yet, only the drain plug is off:

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p761410

user-23911

Post by user-23911 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 am

Does it use tapered roller bearings?
When they get worn, they need re shimming otherwise the gears don't mesh properly.
Then they chip bits off.

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 am

joe 90 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 am
Does it use tapered roller bearings?
When they get worn, they need re shimming otherwise the gears don't mesh properly.
Then they chip bits off.
I know next to nothing about transmissions so my description below may have non-sensical parts.

The main shaft assembly is the input. That input has a large ball bearing relative to the case. The other end of the main shaft is the pinion assembly that gets bolted to the case. Inside the pinion assembly, there appears to be two tapered roller bearings that face each other. The lay/countershaft has needle bearings (or maybe they should be called non-tapered roller bearings, I don't know) and a thrust washer.

bigblockmopar

Post by bigblockmopar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 am

A different gear pitch could load the gears differently which may make them handle the load better, but I was thinking the transmission was something 'simple' so custom gears don't look too feasible.

Could the gears be heat treated too hard (for the current purpose)?
Would a softer heat-treatment make them hold up better and prevent chipping/breaking, eventhough they would wear quicker?

Just thinking along here. My metallurgy knowledge is limited to hobbying in my garage and some "Forged in Fire"...

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:10 am

bigblockmopar wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 am
A different gear pitch could load the gears differently which may make them handle the load better, but I was thinking the transmission was something 'simple' so custom gears don't look too feasible.

Could the gears be heat treated too hard (for the current purpose)?
Would a softer heat-treatment make them hold up better and prevent chipping/breaking, eventhough they would wear quicker?

Just thinking along here. My metallurgy knowledge is limited to hobbying in my garage and some "Forged in Fire"...
Sometimes it seems to take the teeth right out the root when you apply torque to it. I don’t know if that’s because the shafts pull apart or because the gears are just weak or if gears come out of the factory with cracks.

ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 am

Leftcoaster wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:47 am
ptuomov wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:31 am

This one went out at only 500 lbf-ft at the rear axle and 5000 rpm with transmission near ideal operating condition. So it was likely cumulative stresses and damage.
Would this application benefit from cryogenic or meta-lax treatment?
In my opinion, there isn't much credible evidence proving that cryogenic treatments work. However, it seems unlikely that it'll hurt, either, as long as the subsequent heating isn't done at a too high or a too low of a temperature. Often, gears are "superfinished" with REM micropolishing treatment, and that's less controversial in terms of its benefits.

I don't like free hydrogen in the gears... Do you guys bake the gears to get hydrogen out? How long and at what temperature? 24 hours at 375F?

There's also another question which is the right temperature for the manual gearbox oil.

Water in the oil will cause hydrogen embrittlement or rather hydrogen assisted cracking in the case of steel. To get rid of any water in oil, the transmission oil needs to be above minimum temperature and the transmissions needs an effective breather. The temperature of the tranny oil increases by about +100F when it runs thru the gears, so the minimum safe temperature for transmission oil is somewhere between 110-160F in the sump. From those temperatures, the oil between gears heats enough to boil out any water. The water vapor then needs to be vented out thru a vent in the gearbox that is shielded from oil spray

Does anyone actually positively vent the gearbox by moving clean dry air into the gearbox and hot water vapor out?

On the other hand, various manufacturers seem to say that the gearbox oil in the sump should never go over 250F. If you say that the gears then heat that by about +100F, that would mean 350F for the oil. That would lead to breakdown of most oils, no? So I'd say that maximum allowed temp should be about 230F in the sump.

Based on this logic, one should look for 160-230F temperature for transmission oil in the sump. Do you agree with this? And if I am using an external oil cooler with a thermostat, the usual thermostats seem to turn the cooler on at 180F. That seems a little low if the heat exchanger has big capacity? Any thoughts on that?

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:06 pm

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... rMoV_Steel

There are 32 references given for further reading.

1. Yang, K.; Gao, Y.; Yang, K.; Bao, Y.; Jiang, Y. Microstructure and wear resistance of Fe-Cr13-C-Nb hardfacing
alloy with Ti addition. Wear 2017, 376, 1091–1096.

2. Ahmed, M.P.; Jailani, H.S.; Mohideen, S.R.; Rajadurai, A. Effect of Cryogenic Treatment on Microstructure
and Properties of CuBe2. Metallography, Microstructure, and Analysis 2016, 5, 528–535.

3. Thornton, R.; Slatter, T.; Ghadbeigi, H. Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on the dry sliding wear
performance of ferrous alloys. Wear 2013, 305, 177–191.

4. Yang, H.; Jun, W.; Bao-Luo, S.; Hao-Huai, L.; Sheng-Ji, G.; Si-Jiu, H. Effect of cryogenic treatment on the
matrix structure and abrasion resistance of white cast iron subjected to destabilization treatment. Wear 2006,
261, 1150–1154.

5. Silva, F.; Franco, S.D.; Machado, Á.R.; Ezugwu, E.O.; Souza, A.M., Jr. Performance of cryogenically treated
HSS tools. Wear 2006, 261, 674–685.

6. Leskovšek, V.; Kalin, M.; Vižintin, J. Influence of deep-cryogenic treatment on wear resistance of vacuum
heat-treated HSS. Vacuum 2006, 80, 507–518.

7. Firouzdor, V.; Nejati, E.; Khomamizadeh, F. Effect of deep cryogenic treatment on wear resistance and tool
life of M2 HSS drill. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 2008, 206, 467–472.

8. Khun, N.W.; Liu, E.; Tan, A.; Senthilkumar, D.; Albert, B. Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on mechanical
and tribological properties of AISI D3 tool steel. Friction 2015, 3, 234–242.

9. Amini, K.; Nategh, S.; Shafyei, A.; Rezaeian, A. Effect of deep cryogenic treatment on the properties of
80CrMo12 5 tool steel. Int. J. Miner. Metall. Mater. 2012, 19, 30–37.

10. Gavriljuk, V.G.; Theisen, W.; Sirosh, V.V.; Polshin, E.V.; Kortmann, A.; Mogilny, G.S.; Petrov, Y.N.; Tarusin, Y.V.
Low-temperature martensitic transformation in tool steels in relation to their deep cryogenic treatment.
Acta Mater. 2013, 61, 1705–1715.

11. Leskovšek, V.; Šuštaršiˇc, B.; Jutriša, G. The influence of austenitizing and tempering temperature on the
hardness and fracture toughness of hot-worked H11 tool steel. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 2006, 178, 328–334.

12. Podgornik, B.; Majdic, F.; Leskovsek, V.; Vizintin, J. Improving tribological properties of tool steels through
combination of deep-cryogenic treatment and plasma nitriding. Wear 2012, 288, 88–93.

13. Jurˇci, P.; Dománková, M.; Hudáková, M.; Ptaˇcinová, J.; Pašák, M.; Palˇcek, P. Characterization of
microstructure and tempering response of conventionally quenched, short- and long-time sub-zero treated
PM Vanadis 6 ledeburitic tool steel. Mater. Charact. 2017, 134, 398–415.

14. Das, D.; Ray, K.K.; Dutta, A.K. Influence of temperature of sub-zero treatments on the wear behaviour of die
steel. Wear 2009, 267, 1361–1370.

15. Podgornik, B.; Paulin, I.; Zajec, B.; Jacobson, S.; Leskovšek, V. Deep cryogenic treatment of tool steels. J. Mater.
Process. Technol. 2016, 229, 398–406.

16. Das, D.; Dutta, A.K.; Ray, K.K. Correlation of microstructure with wear behaviour of deep cryogenically
treated AISI D2 steel. Wear 2009, 267, 1371–1380.

17. Yan, X.G.; Li, D.Y. Effects of the sub-zero treatment condition on microstructure, mechanical behavior and
wear resistance of W9Mo3Cr4V high speed steel. Wear 2013, 302, 854–862.

18. Li, J.; Yan, X.; Liang, X.; Hong, G.; Li, D.Y. Influence of different cryogenic treatments on high-temperature
wear behavior of M2 steel. Wear 2017, 376, 1112–1121.

19. Era, P.K.; Mazancová, E. Mechanical and structural response of AISI 4135 steel after controlled cooling
process. Metalurgija 2016, 55, 165–168.

20. N ˝urnberger, F.; Grydin, O.; Yu, Z.; Schaper, M. Microstructural Behaviour of Tempering Steels during
Precision Forging and Quenching from Hot-forming Temperatures. Metall. Min. Ind. 2011, 7, 79–85.

21. Jiang, X.; Zhou, Y.; Shi, C.; Mao, D. Effects of Ultrasonic-Aided Quenching on the Corrosion Resistance of GB
35CrMoV Steel in Seawater Environment. Metals 2018, 8, 104.

22. Wang, Q.B.; Li, X.Y. Effects of Nb, V, and W on Microstructure and Abrasion Resistance of Fe-Cr-C Hardfacing
Alloys. Weld. J. 2010, 89, 133–139.

23. Shivanna, D.M.; Kiran, M.B.; Kavitha, S.D. Evaluation of 3D Surface Roughness Parameters of EDM
Components Using Vision System. Procedia Mater. Sci. 2014, 5, 2132–2141.

24. Do Vale, J.L.; Beltrão, V.D.C.; Silva, C.H.D.; Pintaúde, G. Evaluation of the error of the light beam incidence on
concave surfaces in 3D roughness parameters using optical interferometry. Measurement 2018, 120, 182–192.

25. Al-Kindi, G.A.; Shirinzadeh, B. An evaluation of surface roughness parameters measurement using
vision-based data. Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf. 2007, 47, 697–708.

26. Das, D.; Dutta, A.K.; Ray, K.K. Sub-zero treatments of AISI D2 steel: Part I. Microstructure and hardness.
Mater. Sci. Eng. A 2010, 527, 2182–2193.

27. Zhao, M.; Hanamura, T.; Qiu, H.; Nagai, K.; Yang, K. Grain growth and Hall–Petch relation in dual-sized
ferrite/cementite steel with nano-sized cementite particles in a heterogeneous and dense distribution.
Scr. Mater. 2006, 54, 1193–1197.

28. Miyamoto, G.; Oh, J.; Hono, K.; Furuhara, T.; Maki, T. Effect of partitioning of Mn and Si on the growth
kinetics of cementite in tempered Fe–0.6 mass% C martensite. Acta Mater. 2007, 55, 5027–5038.

29. Luzginova, N.V.; Zhao, L.; Sietsma, J. The Cementite Spheroidization Process in High-Carbon Steels with
Different Chromium Contents. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 2008, 39, 513–521.

30. Lescoat, M.L.; Ribis, J.; Chen, Y.; Marquis, E.A.; Bordas, E. Radiation-induced Ostwald ripening in oxide
dispersion strengthened ferritic steels irradiated at high ion dose. Acta Mater. 2014, 78, 328–340.

31. Sun, Y.; Chen, J.; Liu, J. Effect of hydrogen on ductility of high strength quenched and tempered (QT)
Cr–Ni–Mo steels. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 2015, 625, 89–97.

32. Guo, J.; Ai, L.; Wang, T.; Feng, Y.; Wan, D.; Yang, Q. Microstructure evolution and micro-mechanical behavior
of secondary carbides at grain boundary in a Fe–Cr–W–Mo–V–C alloy. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 2018, 715, 359–369.

I have to laugh when software deletes abbreviations of analysis with [Blank Post]. I fear for the survival of our species.