2001 Honda Odyssey front end vibration above 65mph

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

travis
Expert
Expert

2001 Honda Odyssey front end vibration above 65mph

Post by travis » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm

I’m about at my wits end with this thing. The is my daily work beater, 237k miles. 2 brand new front tires, 10k miles on the rear tires, proper inflation pressure. Front end alignment a couple of weeks ago, replaced both front drive axles this morning, all 4 tires balanced when installed. Still have a pretty strong vibration in the steering wheel at anything over 65mph that gets progressively worse as the speed goes up.

What do I check next?? Would a slightly bent wheel not necessarily show up on a spin balancer? I’m about out of ideas.

strokersix
Pro
Pro

Re: 2001 Honda Odyssey front end vibration above 65mph

Post by strokersix » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 pm

My 98 Civic has a metal ring suspended on rubber in the middle of one of the driveshafts, presumably for vibration control. I've wondered what would happen if the cracked rubber failed entirely. You might take a look at your driveshafts.

strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:21 pm

Oops, I see you replaced the driveshafts...

406shark

Post by 406shark » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:01 pm

travis wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm
I’m about at my wits end with this thing. The is my daily work beater, 237k miles. 2 brand new front tires, 10k miles on the rear tires, proper inflation pressure. Front end alignment a couple of weeks ago, replaced both front drive axles this morning, all 4 tires balanced when installed. Still have a pretty strong vibration in the steering wheel at anything over 65mph that gets progressively worse as the speed goes up.

What do I check next?? Would a slightly bent wheel not necessarily show up on a spin balancer? I’m about out of ideas.

I know you said you had a front end alignment done... did they check the front for any worn parts? They don't always check.

Check your hub bearings
Check your inner and outer tie rod ends
Check your rack to verify one of the mounting points didn't break
Check your steering shaft connections to make sure all is good
Check your brake calipers

Does the van pull or veer while going down the road?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Jeff

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:07 pm

It's possible there's still some dynamic wheel imbalance, or even a misbuilt tire. A bent rim would only be caught visually on the balancer if someone was looking for it. Did it develop suddenly or gradually? Does the steering wheel vibrate radially, as in the rim shakes clockwise/counter-clockwise and if so, does the vibration sometimes fade away and then get gradually worse again while driving at steady speed? Have you tried swapping wheels front to rear?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

travis
Expert
Expert

Post by travis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:01 am

The vibration can be felt only in the steering wheel, no side to side movement of the wheel. All steering components are tight (pretty amazing actually considering it is all factory Honda). The vibration comes on gradually with fresh tires and an alignment.

I’m going to rotate the tires again and see what happens, then go to a different shop and have all 4 balanced again if the vibration is still there. For some reason this thing has always seemed hyper sensitive to the wheel balancing

underhead valve

Post by underhead valve » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:56 am

Are all 4 tires matched--same brand, wear

how are the motor mounts---there is a service bulletin about this

a chattering converter clutch ----a dose of converter clutch snake oil fixed the one I had to work on for a similar complaint as yours

travis
Expert
Expert

Post by travis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 pm

underhead valve wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:56 am
Are all 4 tires matched--same brand, wear

how are the motor mounts---there is a service bulletin about this

a chattering converter clutch ----a dose of converter clutch snake oil fixed the one I had to work on for a similar complaint as yours
Tell me about the converter clutch snake oil. Seems I have read a bunch about converter problems in these.

Motor mounts are solid. The front tires are brand new, rears are just a few months old.

underhead valve

Post by underhead valve » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:33 pm

lubegard ---i think shudder fix

from looking at the picture of the motor mounts they are hydraulic, I replace many of these on mercedes, if you see signs on brown stains or liquid leakage they are bad most likely, if one of the left---right mounts settle more than the other it changes driveshaft angles that can cause vibrations because of the shifted engine position, even "hard" can be a problem,
The tires need to have the same rolling radius, different brands even though same size can be different enough to cause problems, even worn/new of same brand,size ---all things to consider when chasing "vibrations"

travis
Expert
Expert

Post by travis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 am

The motor mounts are just conventional encapsulated rubber...but they have at least 140k on them and may very well be original. I will take a closer look at them.

Thanks for the suggestions

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Maybe related...or not.
I had a 87 Plymouth Voyager. Around the 150K mark it started eating half shafts and began to have a persistent vibration. After the second set I had enough.
Google and every smart tech I could contact had no clue. I had done everything they would do.

Next...New struts, half shafts and new rack and pinion. Alignment and balance rechecked for the umpteenth time.
Some of the vibe went away which I contribute to the the the new R&P and a little improvement due to the new struts.
It still wasn't quite right and continued to make that bad half joint noise if turning and backing up at the same time. arggh
Walked away from it for a few days and pondered. Came back with the thought that the half shaft issues may be related to the angle of the shafts between the trans and the hubs.
I have seen this issue with modified RWD cars and trucks where a shallow angle eats up the u joints and causes odd vibes.
Measuring the angles are all but impossible on a FWD car so I took a shot in the dark.
I replaced all the motor mounts.
Eureka...new car again. No vibe, no strange knuckle cracking noises when turning.

The mounts had compressed over time, lowering the engine enough that the drive line angles were too shallow.
You would think more tolerance had been designed into that but no for whatever engineering reason.
So between the struts and new mounts the shaft angles became correct again.

I eventually got 350K out of the car with the last set of the above before the body became too light.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

travis
Expert
Expert

Post by travis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:09 pm

So it looks like 1 of the mounts actually is hydraulic.

All new mounts are ordered...we’ll see what this does.

Curtis Mc

Post by Curtis Mc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:50 pm

It was mentioned earlier (and noted that you had changed it), but I will bring it up again due to personal experience - we had issues with the passenger side axle.