Joe the Gear banger

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Expert
Expert

Joe the Gear banger

Post by swampbuggy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 am

Joespanova, this thread was worth your 1/4 mile pass video---VERY awesome shifting and quicker than i would expect. After you get your engine freshened up and make the changes, it would be great to see another video ? Mark H. :D

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Re: Joe the Gear banger

Post by Frankshaft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am

I wonder how much et/mph it would lose if it was an auto car. I bet a bunch. I know a guy who ran 8.80's with a similar set up, as in a high rpm stick shift car. His engine makes more power. He was tired of clutch maintenance, and it was hard bracket racing. Car now runs 9.20's. And lost mph.

turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:25 am

Weird how the exact opposite seems to be true with slow cars. My old DD bracket car picked up almost a full .4 over previous best on the first pass after I twisted the input shaft & axles with the close-ratio top loader 4 speed set up & swapped to a C-6. But maybe my shifting skills were just much worse than I realized. :lol:

joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 am

OK , you guys are funny , but my racing "career" is winding down. I can feel it. The "allure" of drag racing is fading.
That being said , in the remaining few years left maybe my goals are only to go 9 teens......LOL.
IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE , in that the faster you go the more fun it is......BUT , that only applies to real "clutch" assisted stick cars!
I've always discounted the clutchless cars ( Liberty's et al ). Sorry , that's just the way it is........
modified wanna be

CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:12 pm

joespanova wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 am
OK , you guys are funny , but my racing "career" is winding down. I can feel it. The "allure" of drag racing is fading.
That being said , in the remaining few years left maybe my goals are only to go 9 teens......LOL.
IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE , in that the faster you go the more fun it is......BUT , that only applies to real "clutch" assisted stick cars!
I've always discounted the clutchless cars ( Liberty's et al ). Sorry , that's just the way it is........
I didnt think all liberty's were clutchless. I have a friend running currently running a Jerico . I was always under the impression that the Nash's were weak? Maybe I got bad info. Is there something to that?

joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:57 pm

The alloys in the originals was probably 9310 , but now I believe they use VAR9310 and 300M. Most of the gears in mine have been replaced over the years. Liberty manufactures most ratios / gears now.
"Split slider" trans are all clutchless. I converted my gears to "face plated" ( std slider ) 6-7 years ago. Still clutch assisted. Weak , well , that's all relative. Behind a Pro Mod or Pro Stocker.......sure , but for anything in my weight range and power to 800 hp-maybe 850ish , shouldn't be a problem...........but that's with the newer gears.
http://libertysgears.com/our-products/l ... smissions/
modified wanna be