torque convertor torque multiplication ???

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

moper

torque convertor torque multiplication ???

Post by moper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:08 pm

Curious about this...

Is there an average amount of torque multiplication generated strictly by the convertor itself? My feeling is while the stator is not spinning the same speed as the case the answer is yes. But as the stall speed is reached and surpassed, the answer is no. And if it is yes...how much are we talking? 1%? 5% does it vary widely like manufacturers do?

crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:57 pm

I am by far a converter expert. Just learning about them myself. I don't know if this answeres your question but I do know converters do have diferent multiplication. If I under stood the way it was explained to me (someone please correct me if im wrong learning here) the number of fins amount to the torque multiplication and the angle of the fins adj the stall
John Mann
Action Automotive Inc

Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions

Engguy
Guru
Guru

Post by Engguy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:31 am

When it is multiplying the stator is locked to the support shaft, and directing the flow back to assist the pump. I think normal is about 2:1.

Engineguy

Post by Engineguy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:04 am

There is a pretty good overview/history article at wikipedia.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter[url]
[size=150][url]http://www.SportsCarDesigner.com[/url] [color=deeppink].... You [u]want[/u] to design your own car... so go ahead.[/color][b] Sports Car Designer [/b][color=deeppink] is the answer.[/color][/size]
What else can you do with that gift card you got?

SilverFox

Post by SilverFox » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:11 am

I can't give you much TECHNICAL input, but I can give you plenty of EXPERIENCE input and that is this: There is a HUGE difference in a 4500 stall speed convertor that cost $600 versus a 4500 stall that cost $1200. And I mean HUGE.....they will both stall 4500, but the $600 convertor will cost you CONSIDERABLY in 1/4 mile MPH and in ET......There are many factors to consider when choosing a convertor......They apply directly to your question...A GOOD convertor will have much less slippage as the stall speed is surpassed....A CHEAP 4500 stall convertor will stall to 4500 but then may have 40% SLIPPAGE all the way down the track!!!!!!!
Sure there are many smarter than me, but at least I'm smart enough to ask THOSE GUYS for advice when needed!

longrodsbc

Post by longrodsbc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:13 pm

And people wonder why when they hit the juice with a cheap converter the shift light stays on the entire run... :lol:

Typicaly converters slip% is 10%-15%

longrodsbc

Transman
Pro
Pro

Post by Transman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:32 pm

I have some information about what the variables are inside a converter up on my site. Look on the 'converters' page. A converter needs to be accurately matched to the entire vehicle combination, and you need to be brutally honest with your combo and goals when selecting a converter.
Dealer for TCI, JW, BTE, Trans Specialties, Jesel, Impact, etc.