Ford 9" center section into 57-64 Old/pont housing

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert

Ford 9" center section into 57-64 Old/pont housing

Post by redliner » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 am

I have an Olds rear in my coupe with 4-link brackets etc and I have heard of guys putting a 9" center section in the Olds housing. Does anyone have any info on this process? I get the basics but would like to hear from anyone who has done it, Thanks.

sidestep

Re: Ford 9" center section into 57-64 Old/pont housing

Post by sidestep » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am

I've played with a few Oldsmobile s a 49 coupe and a 55 hardtop both 88's. Always had to use what I could find, never heard of that trick, sorry no help, but , there's a company called fabcraft metalworks that has been selling rearend parts for these for a few years now. Maybe they can help or point you in the right direction. Cool project

A_VAS

Post by A_VAS » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 am

I have had a 9' center flange grafted onto my '68 Cadillac rear housing. Same procedure I would think.

I have pics I can dig up...basically I had a local fabricator genius take my housing, torch out the existing stud pattern. Weld in a 9" ford stud flange.
then mocked up with a solid bar...there was some binding so he did cut the housing ends free and re-weld those with the fixture bar. Didn't affect width much at all.
this worked out really well, let me keep my existing brakes and factory mounting features.
First check was to drop an 9" assembled center section in to see if it fit the pumpkin area, it had plenty of room
too lazy to make power w/o boost

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 am

A_VAS wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 am
I have had a 9' center flange grafted onto my '68 Cadillac rear housing. Same procedure I would think.

I have pics I can dig up...basically I had a local fabricator genius take my housing, torch out the existing stud pattern. Weld in a 9" ford stud flange.
then mocked up with a solid bar...there was some binding so he did cut the housing ends free and re-weld those with the fixture bar. Didn't affect width much at all.
this worked out really well, let me keep my existing brakes and factory mounting features.
First check was to drop an 9" assembled center section in to see if it fit the pumpkin area, it had plenty of room
Do it the other way round. Use the locating bar to position the Ford center section and mounting flange, then weld it in place in the GM housing opening.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

A_VAS

Post by A_VAS » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 pm

couple pictures I found of the welded flange plate
Attachments
IMG_3608.jpg
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3602.JPG

A_VAS

Post by A_VAS » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:35 pm

PackardV8 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 am

Do it the other way round. Use the locating bar to position the Ford center section and mounting flange, then weld it in place in the GM housing opening.
you may be right Jack, not sure what order he did it. He may have used the bar to get it lined up first....possibly something moved with final welding. To get good tube ends alignment, he had to cut them loose and reweld after the center was done.
I'm sure there was a lot of heat put into the center if you see the pics how much weld material was filled in there.

I like the way it turned out...car now has 35 spline axles and a locker...basically unlimited choice of gear sets
Cadillac 2.94 and 3.21 were my previous options, with no type of good posi available

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:37 pm

I would dearly love to get the blueprints to the 1969 Cougar Eliminator's 2-speed rear end!

It's made like a 12-bolt with a hand-shifted 2-speed in it.

I think Ford made 6 or 7 of them and then shit-canned them for whatever reason back in '69 or '70??

pdq67