Moderator: Team

GRTfast
Expert
Expert

Re: Screeching sound when clutch is pushed in

Post by GRTfast » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:04 am

peejay wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:08 am
One thing I noted when I switched to an aluminum flywheel on my car was a lot more gear rattle/whine in the trans.
Yeah the tranny seems much more quiet now, especially during low rpm acceleration. The extra mass of the steel flywheel is damping the hit from the power pulses.

autogear
Pro
Pro

Post by autogear » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Damn! I am a happy gearbox guy right now! "I love it when a plan comes together." - Hannibal Smith
~Nate

numboltz

Post by numboltz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:35 am

Years ago a customer showed up and needed a new trans. This was an old 6 cylinder Mopar
with a 3 speed trans. Cheapest way out was a used trans and I noticed as I installed it that there
was an almost new clutch assembly in the car, including a throw out bearing. Trans was OK and
the customer went away happy, but was back next day complaining of a horrible noise, which turned
out to be that new release bearing. Took it to the local parts place and they gave me a new one
[bower/bca] on warranty. I was a bit pissed to be eating something I didn't do, but whatever. Next day
the guy was back, same noise. Switched brands on the next release bearing and never had the problem
again.

The bearings looked absolutely perfect, but when I hacked one apart you could see that the race that the
tin cover was crimped to was spinning in the cover.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:35 am

autogear wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am
Thanks for the pat on the back. Im always the one who posts here; unless I have to tap George for a more esoteric or historical answer; I try to remember to put his name on it though. We're really proud of the M23-series of gearboxes; and our happy customers with them. I just had a customer send me a timeslip with 10.68@125.82mph on it (full disclosure, he had Liberty's 'faceplate' it). He said he 'magged' the gears when he replaced the 'plates; everything looked perfect.

Nathan
Saw one of your M23 cases at Liberty's. Beautiful piece; my stock M21 would be very jealous.. :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert

Post by GRTfast » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28 am

numboltz wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:35 am
Years ago a customer showed up and needed a new trans. This was an old 6 cylinder Mopar
with a 3 speed trans. Cheapest way out was a used trans and I noticed as I installed it that there
was an almost new clutch assembly in the car, including a throw out bearing. Trans was OK and
the customer went away happy, but was back next day complaining of a horrible noise, which turned
out to be that new release bearing. Took it to the local parts place and they gave me a new one
[bower/bca] on warranty. I was a bit pissed to be eating something I didn't do, but whatever. Next day
the guy was back, same noise. Switched brands on the next release bearing and never had the problem
again.

The bearings looked absolutely perfect, but when I hacked one apart you could see that the race that the
tin cover was crimped to was spinning in the cover.
Interesting. I should cut my old one apart and see what it looks like. It doesn’t feel/sound bad when I spin it in my hand, but the sound was intermittent. Maybe there was some trash in it, or maybe one of the balls has bad spot. I’ll take a look.

The new setup is working flawlessly.

autogear
Pro
Pro

Post by autogear » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 am

MadBill wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:35 am
autogear wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am
Thanks for the pat on the back. Im always the one who posts here; unless I have to tap George for a more esoteric or historical answer; I try to remember to put his name on it though. We're really proud of the M23-series of gearboxes; and our happy customers with them. I just had a customer send me a timeslip with 10.68@125.82mph on it (full disclosure, he had Liberty's 'faceplate' it). He said he 'magged' the gears when he replaced the 'plates; everything looked perfect.

Nathan
Saw one of your M23 cases at Liberty's. Beautiful piece; my stock M21 would be very jealous.. :)
Hopefully before I retire, I get to see some of my parts behind that monster motor...Im 36, we've got a little time left :)
Thanks for the kind words. Thats George's case design from the 1990s, and we're still using it today. The steel thrust button is something we cooked up about 5yrs ago. The "GKM" on the casting is for George Miclich (I know Im butchering the spelling). He was the casting designer at New Process Gear for 30+ years and worked with George on the original SuperCase.
~Nate

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm

autogear wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 am
...Hopefully before I retire, I get to see some of my parts behind that monster motor...Im 36, we've got a little time left :)...
I hope so also! I got the heads on yesterday, so the pace is picking up, but there's a lot less sand in the top of my hourglass; I'm you times two plus two... :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.