9" axle retainer plates not sitting flat?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

peejay
Guru
Guru

9" axle retainer plates not sitting flat?

Post by peejay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:59 am

This is a 9", my first one, that I assembled from bits here and there. Moroso "big bearing" axle ends, Dutchman axles and whatever bearings they supply. I used their 9" housing tool to locate the ends and the rear is slightly overwide (axles maybe 1/16" too far out). Using a NASCAR takeout Detroit Locker style diff. I forget where the retainer plates came from.

I'm finally at the point where I am assembling the rearend for real and I'm putting the retainer plates on for the first time.

The gap between the bearing housing and bearing edge was huge, but I thought, well, the parts were made for each other, tighten everything down. The retainer plate is now warped and the bolts are splayed out, which I don't like.

Would it be a bad idea to stick washers under the plates so that they sit flatter when tightening down, or am I overthinking this? Personally I almost want to get longer bolts and double the plates up, it looks like one good side hit on an inside tire could break the plate.

Momus

Re: 9" axle retainer plates not sitting flat?

Post by Momus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 am

I'd use washers and set it so there is a little nip on the bearing outer. A brake back plate may have been intended as the distance piece. If you are using a caliper bracket on the flange held by the same bolts you will want to make sure they are sitting nice and square.

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:33 am

On the 9" the bearing is out of the housing a little to locate the brake backing plate. The bearing retainer squeeses the backing plate between it and the housing end. Disc brake setups have a counter bore in the caliper bracket.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

That makes a bunch of sense, thanks guys. I'll rig something up with some steel stock or washers.

The disk brake caliper is actually welded to the backside of the bearing housing and two of the T bolts (now some 1 1/2" long bolts with notched heads) also go through it.

Geoff2
Expert
Expert

Post by Geoff2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 am

In axles that I have seen of similar design, the bearing usually sticks out a fraction so that the retaining plate 'clamps' be bearing & helps to stop it rotating in the housing. I do think the above set up was designed for a drum brake backing plate.

BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:59 pm

No disrespect but those welds are horrible and probably will fail. Just being safe....

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm unconcerned. When I welded those on (Moser ends, with the spigot) I was using a friend's 110v Eastwood 135 with .023 wire. I cranked it up to max and ended up doing three passes on each side, a root pass and then two more for good measure. It was far from ideal because I didn't want to pour too much heat in with the small wire but what can you do.

Part of me wants to try dual shield filling it in, the rest of me says I already dumped $200 into having this rearend straightened and I don't want to risk losing the alignment. The thing is already a bunch stronger than the chassis it will be attached to. Application is a 2400lb car with just under 300hp, used for dodging cones on dirt.