Can I weld a leaking diff in the car?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

Can I weld a leaking diff in the car?

Post by DCal » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Fabricated differential housing is leaking from bottom center where the floor jack would contact it. I suspect it is cracked. One shop says they can weld it while in the car, while another says it must be removed. My troubled old back is hoping it can be done in the car.

superpursuit

Re: Can I weld a leaking diff in the car?

Post by superpursuit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

To have a quality weld the metal needs to be spotless and not contaminated with things like dirt and oil. Leaking diff oil into the area you are trying to weld would not be classed as spotless. The area on the back of the metal being welded also needs to be clean. If they were to remove the differential centre and clean it in and out then you may be able to weld it in the car. The other thing to think about is the potential for an internal fire if welded on the car. I hope this helps.

englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 am

Maybe they intend to drain it and clean it inside, then weld it?
That would be fine and you wouldn't have to dick with the brakes

mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 am

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone !
Have them seal it and reinforce it for jack usage by welding a good thick plate to the bottom of it after doing the very important thing of drilling out the ends of the crack first!

lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 am

while you can do it and get away with it, so much better to remove it. it can be cleaned better, less likely to leave welding spatter and crap in the housing when done, and you remove the potential for burning the car to the ground.

DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 am

It's coming out. Safety is my main concern so thanks guys for replying. When they made the housing with 1.5 dia. piece of tubing hanging down 1.75 inches for the floor jack I thought "that's clever" but they failed to support it and it's going to get fixed properly now.