Trans case sale

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Trans case sale

Post by cgarb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Some background here...my dad has built racing trans for years...like 40 some. He has built them in partnership with the local machine shop that does our engine work. He and the owner raced together for years. My car last year broke the transmission. I bought a used 1.89 TCI gearset and it chipped a tooth on the planetary gear and ruined the planetary and busted the stock case. He wanted to call the transmission supplier who they deal with to get an aftermarket case. They told the owner of the machine shop who was ordering the case that he had to buy something else in order to get the case? Last year I bought an aftermarket pump with this company for my trans, works fine and like it. I would buy a planetary from them because I need one, but they do not offer the ratio I want. I already have everything else I need...so I want just the case. They said they only have 4 cases left and they are saving them for people who are building transmissions. Well, if you assemble a pile of parts into a case wouldn't that be considered building a trans? I have never heard of anything like that before. I don't understand why people turn down a sale like that. That would be like Callies only selling rotating assemblies...no cranks or rods separate. We know what's best for you and this is what you need.

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Trans case sale

Post by SupStk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:09 am

Guess its their cases and their privilege to sell to who they want.

In the past I've had hard to find blocks and heads. I'd sell as complete engines but just not as cores. Seems like the same deal to me.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

autogear
Pro
Pro

Post by autogear » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 am

Same boat here. Our gearsets come from Italy, and we will always try to make sure to leave one or 2 gearsets/shafts/whatever on the shelf for complete transmissions or warranty concerns. And USUALLY 'tie' goes to the WD. Meaning if you have a customer, rather than hold it to get full retail out of a transmission sale, I'll let it go to my distributor since most are one-man shops.

Its their prerogative, I might be snarky and try to order one snapring with the case. You could always ask them to try and find you a price on the planetary ratio you need. Maybe they can be competitively priced and you save on shipping, and get the case you want?

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 pm

That's the thing, the machine shop owner is a WD for them...that's what didn't make sense to me. It boils down to probably around 100 dollars, their case is cheaper. We're trying to get someone else who needs parts to order with us, but if that don't work out I'm going to buy another brand of case...and I was going to try a dipstick and the case. I'm not that cheap as to get just a snap ring...lol

tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:02 pm

How often do you freshen up your tranny?. If it is a yearly event I'd order your next rebuilt kit and save it until next year. Perhaps they will just sell the seals and gasket for an inspection tear down.

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 pm

I don't tear mine apart every year with a glide. I will drain the fluid and look at it, if there is something there that makes me want to go farther, then I will look into it, but good clean fluid...there is no reason to look any further. Most of times I have torn one apart, I find the clutches look like new and there was nothing wrong. When I was using my TH350, I would teardown and inspect that one every year. I used to like to buy tools and things in "sets"...make sure everything matches and so fourth. I just found myself wasting money and not using things that I had paid for. Now I just try to buy only what I need. Seems to work out better for me. I only need a case, so that's what I want to buy. I could buy a rebuild kit, but I would probably either misplace it, or my dad would rob something out of it for someone else's trans anyway...Ill be ok, after all its their loss. Sounds like that is kind of the norm in the industry from what I am gathering. That's what this post was about, I just wanted see if others have experienced the same thing or not. It's all good, Thanks to all for replying.