Powerglide planetary help

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Powerglide planetary help

Post by cgarb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:08 am

I have a TCI planetary that was a 1.89 helical cut gearset. It's an aftermarket housing with bolt in pins, the heavy duty type. It chipped a tooth off one of the gears and made a bunch of loud noises...lol. It was not happy. Question for some trans builders...Can I take that housing and order a set of 1.80 straight cut gears, new sun gear, ring gear and a shim and needle bearing kit and use the housing over? It had some gall marks on the outside of the housing where the pieces were forced though, no damage to any of the machined faces or critical areas that I can see.

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Re: Powerglide planetary help

Post by fdicrasto » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:23 pm

I would question whether the cost of purchasing the parts separately would be a whole lot cheaper than buying the complete set up and not having to re use the damaged housing. Just a thought.

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Yes, I'm buying a new one for in my good case, was going to try and fix this one to put in a stock case for a spare trans.

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:37 am

Honestly, for the cost of the new parts, you're still money ahead for just getting a whole new gearset with carrier.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer