Aluminum in tranny fluid?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

stealth
Guru
Guru

Re: Aluminum in tranny fluid?

Post by stealth » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Don’t forget a new trans cooler and lines flushed....
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Re:

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 am

dwilliams wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 am
Crews69 wrote:I was quoted 495.00 to tear it down and clean etc. then I buy a new converter "not a B&M". And then reinstall it all for about a grand said and done.
If you can put together an engine you can rebuild a T400. It's not rocket surgery. Get Ron Sessions' T400 book for step-by-step directions. You'll need a slide hammer, some modified C-clamps, and some homemade tools for this and that, no big deal.

The T400 comes apart as subassemblies; you pull the pump and remove the clutch packs in order. Lay them out on a table - I used a hollow-core door across sawhorses - to keep everything in order, though most of it only goes together one way.

90% of the work in going through an automatic is cleaning. 9% is measuring clearances - mostly feeler gauge stuff. The last 1% is barely above "monkeys can do it."

I made this web page about building a T350: http://dave2.freeshell.org/car1/TWtrans/twtrans.htm It's a very close cousin to the T400.

If you don't have space or time to do it yourself, no problem. But if you want it done *right*, go DIY. Really. Old 3-speed automatics like the T400 are way simpler than they look. If I can successfully rebuild a Turbo-Hydramatic and have it work, you could probably do it blind drunk using a Harbor Freight crescent wrench and a rock.
They are one of the worse designed transmissions and not easy to work on in my opinion. The older stuff is way easier. The lip seals are just crazy in them.