Post by steve cowan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:45 am

hi guys,
brand new strange nodular case
aluminum pinion support
1350 billet yoke
new yukon 4.1:1 street gears
new billet axles
has about 4 hrs run time on the street
spat pinion seal out on the hwy last night,lucky to get it stopped before it was terminal
by the photo the witness mark is nearly non existent on the seal,when i got it home on the hoist i could push the seal back in with my fingers about half way
there was no sealer around the outside of the seal,it was put in dry,this diff centre was built in usa by reputable company and not myself
i am going to fix it myself though,i have not taken any measurements as of yet,the breather is clear as i assembled the complete housing,centre,axles and brakes myself
i am looking for ideas as to why it has failed and ideas on the correct method to fit the seal without further failure
i believe it was the dry seal fitted into a smooth machined pinion support with no sealant around the seal
any thoughts????
thanks in advance
steve c
Attachments
001.JPG

BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Re: 9 inch pinion seal blowout

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:35 am

That made a mess! I would get everything degreased and reinstall the seal with green locktite. Make sure the housing vent is open....very important.

BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Re: 9 inch pinion seal blowout

Post by BirdMan » Mon May 01, 2017 1:12 pm

I would measure the carrier and then research the actual seal sizes while in the store to determine the largest dia. one.
Dale C.