What should I buy?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru

What should I buy?

Post by pdq67 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:31 pm

My 4.155" b x 3.00" = 325" SBC engines pistons are on the way!!!

I am now finally ready to start looking for an 11" flywheel, clutch assembly, and a, "blow-up proof", bell-housing for my 8,000 rpm engine.

I also need a big damper. Is a stock 302, Z-28 damper OK?

I figure all this stuff should be, "SFI", approved, (BUT I really don't know??)..

I won't be racing her, but I don't want anything coming apart on me up top! But if by chance it did, I want it contained!

Just good reasonably priced parts is all unless you guys that know say otherwise! In other words, if a $200 part is OK, then why buy a $500 part sort of deal??

Please offer up your comments.

Thanks,

pdq67

autogear
Pro
Pro

Re: What should I buy?

Post by autogear » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Quicktime makes the most accurate bellhousings; and they're about half the weight of their contemporaries.

RobbMC makes the best offset alignment pins (if required; DEFINITELY check the alignment with a dial indicator)

I much prefer McLeod and Ram for clutches and flywheels. A slightly lighter weight steel billet flywheel isn't a bad idea.

Saw you have to get a new race-spec joint; if a stiff clutch pedal is an issue - look at the Novak external slave cyl setup. I like it a lot better than the inside-the-housing kits; if you can fit it in place

Use the McLeod adjustable Throw Out Bearing if a standard one won't work.

You DON'T want a super aggressive clutch; especially if you are going to keep the 10-spline input for your M20. As long as you don't physically rip the friction material off the disc; even a Luk 'Rep Set' from Napa is fine

Make sure your pilot bushing is non magnetic

Make sure your yoke doesn't have excessive runout, or machining marks along the barrel OD

Run 1-QUART, yes I said 1-QUART of Brad Penn 'Classic Gear Oil' 80w90 in the "munchie", and have fun!

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks, I never heard of, "Quicktime"..

pdq67

tjs44
Pro
Pro

Post by tjs44 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:25 pm

2X on the Quicktime.Tom

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 am

Never mind.

pdq67

autogear
Pro
Pro

Post by autogear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Paul;

You ever run into JodysTransmissions in your forum travels? He's a distributor of mine and reps Quicktime, McLeod and some others.

I imagine a Powerbond damper would suffice if its SFI.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:49 am

autogear wrote:Paul;

You ever run into JodysTransmissions in your forum travels? He's a distributor of mine and reps Quicktime, McLeod and some others.

I imagine a Powerbond damper would suffice if its SFI.
I will check the damper out and I have ran into both Jody and Jake. As well as Brian.

And I am on you again! Get with a real Muncie 5-speed... He, he!!

I told you that I would help design it for free if you decide to build one.

I know I am beating a dead horse!

pdq67

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:38 pm

I found Summit's 11" steel SFI approved flywheel, (PN SUM-700180), so now will a Zoom/P-G, MU 5505-1 clutch kit be OK at 8,000 rpm??

I have a new Zoom/P-G kit behind my 496 now.. BUT I am only gonna run it to 5500 rpm or so.

In other words, you guys that know what SFI 11" clutch kit you buy so please tell me what to buy???

And please advise a reasonably priced 8" dia. SFI SBC damper too...

PMI, (JCMO), e-mailed back a cost list to do my SBC 400 block/3" stroked crank kit and I was shocked!! To say the least..

BUT THEN AGAIN!!! I am stuck in 1974 and 1980!!

pdq67

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:12 am

Just a note on your balancer. For that combo I wouldn't even consider a stock unit. Have you seen the damage one can cause when it comes apart? A little money now will save you tons down the road. Get a high quality SFI damper. ATI, Rattler, Innovators West, just to name a few......
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Now, I found Summits steel Flywheel but will a Zoom C/PP/and TOB be OK?

pdq67

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 pm

pdq67 wrote:Now, I found Summits steel Flywheel but will a Zoom C/PP/and TOB be OK?

pdq67
Now, I found Summits steel Flywheel but will a Zoom C/PP/and TOB be OK? The Zoom/P-G, MU 5505-1 clutch kit................

pdq67

PS., my old junk301 would kick it's damper off at like 3,000 rom running down the road at 60 mph . It was a hoot.. Twice by me!!

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:15 am

OK....

I want a reasonably priced 8" dia. SFI damper as well as an SFI 11" steel flywheel and a clutch kit to match the SFI rating...........

Will the Zoom/Perfection Gear, PN -- MU 5505-1 clutch kit be OK at 8,000 rpm with the SFI steel Summit F/W?

Please guys, talk to me!

pdq67

PS., I have a MU 5505-1 clutch kit behind my 496 now.

autogear
Pro
Pro

Post by autogear » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Paul;

I have no direct experience with the Summit flywheels. I'd want to look at their surface finish; I've seen some flywheels that weren't blanchard ground, just turned with a "record player groove" on a lathe by the looks of it. I see no reason NOT to use that FW if it looks good and doesn't exhibit too much runout once installed. If its not up to par, you'll have to address those issues.
I have no direct experience with Zoom either, although I assume (hopefully Im wrong) that they're just a re-brander of Valeo/Luk/Sachs much like the entry level Centerforce is. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that. I've had plenty of customers run the Luk "Rep Set" clutches, albeit with less power and RPM than you.
Something a clutch racer might answer: I do have customers that prefer the 3-finger style because they're afraid of the stories of the long-style 'sticking' at high RPM. Not sure if that condition still exists or not, but it bears becoming educated about.
NOW; personally, I'd be slightly more concerned about your almighty mini-mouse ripping the friction material off the disc if you really let it fly. You're no green horn, if its worth the risk...run the cheap clutch.

For Gods sake man I've answered your damper question for a month of Sundays....You have a LOT of money and effort tied up in your rotating assembly. At 8,000rpm sh*t gets real in a hurry. You pitch that cheapass damper ring and it rips a hole in your hood, or blows out the grill or god forbid gets out from under the car and hits another car....it'll cost you way more than the Powerbond, Ati etc. Not to mention if it hurts the crank or by becoming unbalanced (like most of us) it hurts your spacer bearings.

ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:29 pm

autogear wrote: I do have customers that prefer the 3-finger style because they're afraid of the stories of the long-style 'sticking' at high RPM.
Many, many years ago I knew a guy who would use large rubber bands to attach his foot to the clutch pedal when street racing, so he could pull it back off the floor.
Scared the shit out of me even then. I was already a veteran of one clutch explosion.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks Autogear,

You are as always a great help.

Is there a reasonably priced, "light-weight", 11" steel SFI approved flywheel out there? (A lot lighter than the 30 pounder's I see listed.)...

I have backed off here and want to say that I will probably 8,000 rpm my 325" engine (5) times and then just putz around town with it, barking my tires every so often!

Heck, I am too old ta get ta, "romping and a stomping", like I did as a kid!

BUI I will install a scatter-shield!

I am not even going to try to get my car on a strip because I won't have all of the needed safety stuff on it except for the (2) SFI parts I am talking about here, a scatter-shield, and a driveshaft loop.

IF I LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO PUT EVERYTHING TOGETHER??

And I haven't even lit off my new 496" engine that is in my car now, so go figure???? I must be a, "dumb SOB", is all....

pdq67