Transgo 700r4 what kit?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Transgo 700r4 what kit?

Postby BOOT » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Ok I noticed this awhile back the last tie I messed with a 700r4 and just had the trans place do it think I used the 2&3.

So what's the deal? SK700 vs JR vs 2&3 ?

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?cat ... rent_id=96
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Transgo 700r4 what kit?

Postby BOOT » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:27 pm

nm LOL often I find the answer after I ask

http://www.transgo.com/faq.html

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Postby Alan Roehrich » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Superior or Fairbanks. I might put Trans Go junk in a transmission for someone I didn't like, if they demanded it.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Postby BOOT » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:37 am

I know a lot of people like transgo vs B&M or other big names. Superior has a lot of cheaper same exact trans stuff on ebay and I kinda thought they were like the generic trans stuff?

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Postby Alan Roehrich » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:04 pm

I've never had TransGo stuff work nearly as well as the Superior stuff. The TransGo stuff has a horrible line pressure rise curve, in both the 700-R4 and 200-4R transmissions, and the various derivatives. Some of the TransGo stuff was so bad that even customers who demanded it asked that it be removed, even when it required replacing the valve body.

The Superior stuff has a much better line pressure rise curve. The Fairbanks stuff works well, but is sometimes a little harsh for some.

Pro Built Automatics

Postby Pro Built Automatics » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:30 am

For the 1988 and up 700R4 for Street/Strip use, I combine the TransGo Junior and the 700-2-3 to get the best of both worlds. I modify the kits to do what I want. This way I can have the smooth part throttle shifts, quick downshifts and quick WOT shifts. In all of my Shift kits and rebuild kits I use the matching Shift kit or kits, boost valves, accumulation, Corvette servo or Sonnax if needed and the correct feed hole sizes in the separator plate to match torque diameter and stall, rear end gear ratio, how you drive, use of vehicle, etc. I have been using TransGo Shift kits for 39 years now in all of my transmission builds with very few problems. I have sold well over a thousand 700R4 Shift kits and rebuild kits in the last few years all using TransGo Shift kits and line rise problems have been non existent. Since I do not use Superior or Fairbanks valve body kits, I cannot comment on them.

MikeB

Postby MikeB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 pm

How do you plan to use the vehicle? The 2&3 kit may not be the best street option. Its description is "Competition, Off road And Pro-street."

I have used TransGo kits in a few TH350s over the years, starting back in 1977. Bought the first one from a customer of mine who was a transmission parts wholesaler and hot rodder. The 350 1&2 kit using the "1" pressure regulator spring (2 = much firmer) makes for firm, clutch saving shifts without any u-joint jarring, wham-bam shifts--exactly how GM should have done it in the first place. I've never had any issues with the kits, and telephone support has been very good. On the opposite end of the spectrum is the B&M Shift Improver kit, which does anything but improve the shifts. And their phone support is non-existent, or least it was several years ago.

Return to “Driveline”