9" Ford Question

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

CoMaxRacing

9" Ford Question

Post by CoMaxRacing » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:23 am

I have a strange situation that I have never seen before with setting up a Ford 9" I set up the gears get the proper pinion depth, lash them to spec pre-load the bearings .010" per-spec. Run them for about 5 min,(around the block sort of thing) Then we take them out and the lash has increased about .006-.008". I checked to see if everything was tight, it was. Why is the lash increasing. The bearings must be shifting is the bores.

Any help would be great.

awesomebill

Re: 9" Ford Question

Post by awesomebill » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:25 am

CoMaxRacing wrote:I have a strange situation that I have never seen before with setting up a Ford 9" I set up the gears get the proper pinion depth, lash them to spec pre-load the bearings .010" per-spec. Run them for about 5 min,(around the block sort of thing) Then we take them out and the lash has increased about .006-.008". I checked to see if everything was tight, it was. Why is the lash increasing. The bearings must be shifting is the bores.

Any help would be great.
You did not preload the carrier bearings enough. They have to be very tight.

k-star
Guru
Guru

9"

Post by k-star » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:58 am

Re-check your pinion depth. If that changed then the problem is in the pinion bearings/shim deal. If it's the same then the problem is in the carrier bearings.... Did you check to make sure the carrier bearings were seated. I have seen shops that had drivers smaller then the carrier bearing diameters, press bearings onto the carrier and have them seat on the tool and not the carrier....Use a piece of .001" feeler stock and see if they are seated correct.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson

awesomebill

Post by awesomebill » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:15 pm

I do not think pinion bearings can move because of the bolt in unit. He should not be using a crush sleeve if that was the culprit anyway. Even if the crush sleeve was bad, he would not loose his bearing load. Most people can get the front to bolt in correctly and seat the races properly. I have found even my guys not lubing the adjusters on the case correctly and they get what seemed proper bearing load but in fact was just griping the threads. Always lube the races and the adjusters with a good lube so you can torque the caps and still turn the adjusters. 15 inch pounds of drag for used bearings and 25 in pounds for new. Either pinion or carrier.