Shifting without the clutch on the street

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Postby BirdMan » Thu May 28, 2009 8:35 am

For several years on my Drag Race Falcon I had a DNE/Richmond 5 spd. and made a setup to clutchless shifting using a 2 step and micro switches. I took advantage of the small amount of free motion of inline shifter to make/break switches and dropping off pulling power of engine. Worked great in drag only, but could work on street I suppose. I massaged shifter/shift arms on trans to make even length throws of shifter. I mounted a small fin on shifter lever which contacted a forward switch for 1 & 3 and a rear switch for 2 & 4. Snap action switches have several models, I worked with them years ago on metal working shears and press brakes in manufacturing and repairing them in field so I have considerable experience them.
Dale C.

ndaglis

Postby ndaglis » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:18 am

A quick question for the face plate users.

Is the dog ring/face plate spring loaded to return to the center position?

nick.

sc68z28

Postby sc68z28 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:48 pm

ndaglis wrote:Is the dog ring/face plate spring loaded to return to the center position?

"spring loaded"??
Nick, If you mean the slider? No. It's moved by the shift fork.

Inside a GF-5r, clutch assits, face plate trans.

Now on some clutchless transmissions, the kind that are made to be shifted without the clutch. Some have split sliders that are sprung together.

Here I'm using two screwdrivers to spread the 1st-2nd slider and you can see one of the springs between the opening.

This is a clutchless GF-5r gear set without 5th and rev.

---Bill.
68 Camaro, Procharged 380ci, FAST EFI, GF5r trans, Advanced Clutches 7" two disc,
Best 60' 1.28 vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w

ndaglis

Postby ndaglis » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks Bill, Very appreciated.

Another question, as always....

Is it necessary to use straight cut gears with a face plated transmission.

My concern is that under side load/end play the slider dogs will be damaged or disengage.

Nick.

sc68z28

Postby sc68z28 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:23 pm

ndaglis wrote:Is it necessary to use straight cut gears with a face plated transmission.

Not that I know of, Liberty will face plate a TKO with helical gears.

Also if you are not aware there is a great forum for stick shift guys at the UMTR site.
http://www.umtrnorth.com/

---Bill.
68 Camaro, Procharged 380ci, FAST EFI, GF5r trans, Advanced Clutches 7" two disc,
Best 60' 1.28 vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w

MPac
Expert
Expert

Re: Shifting without the clutch on the street

Postby MPac » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 am

can you do this with a sm465?
matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Postby Bob Hollinshead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm

MPac wrote:can you do this with a sm465?

LOL, are you thinking heavy duty? I had the top off of a SM465 the other night, there's some big parts in that trans...
Pro question poster.

MPac
Expert
Expert

Postby MPac » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:04 am

Bob Hollinshead wrote:
MPac wrote:can you do this with a sm465?

LOL, are you thinking heavy duty? I had the top off of a SM465 the other night, there's some big parts in that trans...

lol thats what I have in my truck and I tried it the other day it pulled out of gear but i couldn't get it in course I wasn't yanking because i was scared lol
matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

saltfever

Postby saltfever » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:49 pm

This is a very old thread and lots of good information is already posted. However, this technique hasn't been mentioned. This is also for non-racing transmissions (like a Muncie, T-10, etc.) that are not designed for clutchless shifting. If it is a spark ignited vehicle, wire a normally-off push button to the ignition. The idea is to be able to kill the motor by temporarily pushing the button. With engine under load and accelerating, you rest your hand, or apply a slight shifting pressure, on the shift lever. You then briefly hit the kill switch and the trans will pop into the next gear. This is an incredibly fast shift and brutally hard on the entire drive train! As already mentioned, eventually you will break parts! But it does work and is fast enough to win a race. YMMV :wink:

EDIT: My apologies to birdman above. His technique is fundamentally what I am talking about which is a method to temporarily interupt the powerflow. With tweaking his method could be more precise. My method is quick, cheap, and with more timing variability due to your response time.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Postby pdq67 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 pm

It's easy to do IF you have an old 3-speed stick OD like we had back in the '50's and early to mid '60's.

Put her in OD and take off using the clutch and then shift her like a big 6-wheeler truck w/ a 4 or 5-speed OD not using the clutch by balancing the rpm's to the speed both up and down and go.

Done it for years!

I tried to order my '67 Camaro SS/RS w/ Chevy's 3-speed stick OD but GM didn't sell it back then in it.

I want to say they quit selling the 3-speed stock OD in like '64 or so??

pdq67

PS., my car is a REAL 350SS/RS b/c I checked the SS line before the RS line!

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Postby MadBill » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Looks like yet another bright new SpeedTalker has discovered the amusement potential of running some trite phrase back and forth through a translation program to produce tantalizing gibberish. =P~
Moderator informed.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Postby MadBill » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:03 pm

And....now it's been deleted, so I'm the one that looks like he's typing gibberish... :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Postby pdq67 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:51 am

Years and years ago, I paid $80 for 1948 Dodge 5 passenger coupe. (Fwiw, the car is sitting on the east side of Hwy 63 at Moberly, MO across from the car dealership).

It should still have a Hy-Drive tranny setup in it.

It consisted of a fluid coupling instead of a converter with a clutch and pressure plate bolted to it along with a 3-speed stick tranny.

Once you used the clutch to slip it into 1st gear, you could shift without using the clutch.

pdq67

Return to “Driveline”