Moderator: Team

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Which is better? TH400 or a C6

Post by SupStk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:56 am

pdq67 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:54 am
I read somewhere years ago that the TH400 was good for like 800T(?) and 500,000(?) miles, but after GM's, "Bean-Counters", got done with it, it dropped some T and was good for like 200,000(?) miles!

I think it was after they started using plastic parts in it, but don't know for sure?? I bet an older tranny rebuilder guy could tell you for sure about this....

And I will say that MOPAR's 727 auto trans is a good one! Sucker shift's like, "the kick of a shotgun"!

pdq67
Don't know if they took a hit or not on torque capacity. The only plastic parts I recall are some thrust washers, spring locater, and the alignment sleeve for the one way clutch.

Colorado, didn't know the TH475 straight cut gear set was weaker. In the earlier class A motor homes with the helical gear sets, failures weren't uncommon. I'm guessing that is why GM made the change. My mention of the good stuff in the TH475 was slanted at the high element sprags over the normal roller clutches.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 pm

SupStk wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:56 am
Colorado, didn't know the TH475 straight cut gear set was weaker. In the earlier class A motor homes with the helical gear sets, failures weren't uncommon. I'm guessing that is why GM made the change. My mention of the good stuff in the TH475 was slanted at the high element sprags over the normal roller clutches.

No worries. Many thought the straight cut gears were the better gearsets but that has proven to be incorrect. The helical were and still are the strongest factory gears. Most of the failures of the gear sets in motor homes and heavy duty applications were from shock loading and not the gearset itself. But upgrades were done. I wasn't aware that sprags were used in any application after the late 60's, as GM went to the roller clutch in the earlier 70's. There were some sprag style clutches out there, but they only had something like 16 elements or so and were also not the best...The earlier 32 element sprags are the way to go if factory parts are used, but the outer race can fail. Newer aftermarket stuff has much heavier duty races and some also add additional sprag elements to improve holding capacity...

I'm at the point these days I either do a stock rebuild or race build, and leave it at that...Been a bit since I did my last 400 though, still my fav auto trans however.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:12 am

Coloradoracer wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 pm
SupStk wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:56 am

No worries. Many thought the straight cut gears were the better gearsets but that has proven to be incorrect. The helical were and still are the strongest factory gears. Most of the failures of the gear sets in motor homes and heavy duty applications were from shock loading and not the gearset itself. But upgrades were done. I wasn't aware that sprags were used in any application after the late 60's, as GM went to the roller clutch in the earlier 70's. There were some sprag style clutches out there, but they only had something like 16 elements or so and were also not the best...The earlier 32 element sprags are the way to go if factory parts are used, but the outer race can fail. Newer aftermarket stuff has much heavier duty races and some also add additional sprag elements to improve holding capacity...

I'm at the point these days I either do a stock rebuild or race build, and leave it at that...Been a bit since I did my last 400 though, still my fav auto trans however.....
I worked as a dealer tech for 11 years starting in 1976. Did most of the trannys there and all the motorhomes and trucks. The failures I encountered weren't breakage but the planet carriers was toasted. Usually found pieces of thrust washers and pinion needles laying in the pan.
Think the sprag was 34 element but don't quote me on that.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 pm

SupStk wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:12 am
I worked as a dealer tech for 11 years starting in 1976. Did most of the trannys there and all the motorhomes and trucks. The failures I encountered weren't breakage but the planet carriers was toasted. Usually found pieces of thrust washers and pinion needles laying in the pan.
That sounds more like a lube issue to the planets. What was done to correct that?
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

Coloradoracer wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 pm
SupStk wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:12 am
That sounds more like a lube issue to the planets. What was done to correct that?
I agree about probable lube issues. For correction nothing on my end, nothing other than rebuilding transmissions and replacing the needed parts under GM warranty. Now on GM's end, I don't know if mods were done to the lube circuits when they changed over to the straight cut gears. Had several other occasions to rebuild motorhome trannys but none had wiped gear sets after the switch.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine