Aluminum valve body for Turbo 350

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

geraldtson

Aluminum valve body for Turbo 350

Post by geraldtson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Anyone know where to find aluminum valve body for THM 350? Everyone i ask said they've never heard of one so after months of digging through old hot rod books i finally found my old Ron Sessions book from the 80's and it clearly shows a discontinued B&M Aluminum valve body. Also says Fairbanks,Art Carr, and Ati sold them but i cant find one.I know the Powerglides have consumed most all the HP stuff but i just don't understand why there's no availability for a 350? Finally company's are making lightweight aluminum forward and direct drums for 350's and even Ati now offers a new aluminum 350 pump half as well as many other LW parts but no valve body? I'm wanting to do an all LW build on one for Pro Street/race application and i like the 350. Please don't advise me on powerglide or 400 not interested i need the gear for 3300 lb car and i don't like weight or drag of 400. I know all about PG's used them for years with great success but not for this one. I want an all out LW 350 THM. Have used them for years on all out race cars and never broke a case. I figure speed talk is my only hope? Any help??

Thanks!!

Geoff2
Expert
Expert

Re: Aluminum valve body for Turbo 350

Post by Geoff2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:05 am

I also tried finding an aluminium valve body for a T350. No luck. Really surprised, I thought there would still be a good market for them. Two takers here already!

geraldtson

Post by geraldtson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 pm

I don't think i'll hold my breath for one. I should have posted in the engine section think i would have had better luck there. If i find anything i'll give you a shout!!

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 pm

TH350's aren't that popular of a transmission. As hp has gone up, the need for transmissions to hold it has as well. The biggest issue is that regardless of the amount of money you spend on one, they are still hp limited, and not very reliable at the higher hp levels. That's why the low demand and lack of parts like that. As much as you don't like to hear it, the TH400 is a better application for your car. And in regards to the drag and weight, you and your car won't see a difference in the time slip at all. Yes, there are some performance parts available for the th350, but unless you're limited to it by class rules, there are better choices of transmissions out there.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

geraldtson

Post by geraldtson » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 pm

10-4 Thanks for the responses! I was hoping after posting on here maybe somebody would know somebody that would know somebody that would know somebody? Ain't looking good. Car seems to be real weight sensitive, every round i take weight off car picks up on ET consistently. Guess i'll have to spend money somewhere else.

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm

I vaguely remember the aluminum valve body but haven't had one in my hands. Wonder if there was problems with them because they didn't stick around long.
If looking at dumping weight have you considered a TH200 or ProTrans ( based on a 904)? They both seem to be popular in NHRA classes.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

geraldtson

Post by geraldtson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:49 pm

SupStk wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm
I vaguely remember the aluminum valve body but haven't had one in my hands. Wonder if there was problems with them because they didn't stick around long.
If looking at dumping weight have you considered a TH200 or ProTrans ( based on a 904)? They both seem to be popular in NHRA classes.
Really good advice! Been looking at those two in particular,just so hard to start on something i don't have any extra parts or any experience with but i do think either one would accomplish what i'm trying to do. Make car lighter and faster.

Thanks!!