Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Happy Independence Day

Post by enigma57 »

My apologies for the late post. Just got electric back on here and logged onto computer. Nice to have A/C working again. Its been miserable hot. Was 101 degrees at our place yesterday. Cooled down to high 80s during the rains today.

We've had over 7" of rain here since this morning. For a while, it was coming down about 3" per hour according to rain gauge in our back yard. Just now beginning to slack off a bit. We are flooded in. No water in home, but streets in our area are impassable.

A very Happy Independence Day to all,

Harry
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Re: Happy Independence Day

Post by engineczar »

Thanks Harry, and to you the same.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Thank You, Harry. A happy July 4th to everyone. :D
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Harry,

Where is, "Galt's Gulch"?

Just wondering, interesting name!

PM me if you want to??

\pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

In other words, nobody has named a gulch, "Galt's Gulch", so it's not a real place.

Guys, I just figured that Harry was living in a place that had been named, "Galt's Gulch", is all..

I know about, "Atlas Shrugged", but haven't read it. I tried, but it's a TAD LONG!!

I also tried reading James Joyce's, "Ulysses", and, "Finnegans Wake", but they are written in the, "stream of consciousness" style.

I have read all four of Thomas Wolfe's great books!

Look Homeward, Angel;
You can't go home again;
The Web and the Rock; and
Of Time and the River...

As well as, "Only the Dead Know Brooklyn".

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Sorry to be so long in responding, pdq! Have been away from the forum for a while, recovering from an operation.

Yes, Galt's Gulch is more a place of mind than a physical place. However, we can all make it real, should we one day find ourselves effectively disenfranchised and determine to strike out on a similar path as did John Galt.

Regarding long reads...... Have you read any of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's works? I read 'August 1914' many years ago whilst in the service when we were at sea for a couple of months. Good read if you enjoy history. Have wanted to read his 3 volume 'Gulag Archipelago' for some time now. Just haven't made the time to do so.

Best regards,

Harry
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Harry,

I have read, "Gulag Archipelago". It's a fascinating book about the old Russian, (and probably the, "new", Rusian), political prison system.

I think the last book I've read was the last one of Frank Herbert's, "Dune", series. I think it's, "Dune Messiah"...

Now, paperback, I forget it's name, but it is about a mile high iceberg fortress that was used for experiments on Eskimos to try to come up with a suspended animation deal. There were prehistoric creatures in it and it was always cold. A hell of a Sci-Fi thriller. The two main characters thought the Russians did it, but it was our own Gov. using them as a cover..

pdq67