Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Open

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Ken0069
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4460
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Historic Appomattox County, Va
Contact:

Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by Ken0069 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 am

Got a letter from Cigna Tuesday stating that my Medicare part B supplement insurance that I've only had for 10 months will increase from $139 per month to $173.62 a month come July 1, 2018? That's a 25% INCREASE??? WTF???

Went and talked to an Insurance Specialist in town yesterday to see where I stand with this and what I came away with is that I'm basically screwed because I can't just leave and go to another company. If I cancel this policy, that Agent told me that I might not be able to find another company that will sell me B Supplement coverage and that they are NOT required by law to do so.

And back in January my Medicare Part B insurance premium that's deducted directly from my checy went up from $109 a month to $134 that took all but $1.60 of the $27.83 COLA we got in January. Now my Part B Supplement is going up 25% to $173.62, which is about a $35 increase. That and my Medicare Part D prescription drug plan went up from $14 to $20 this year!

So now I'm paying $327.62 per month out of my Social Security check for Medicare Health Insurance. [/whineoff]

Anyone else seen premium increases in their Medicare Supplement insurance premiums or is it just Cigna ripping us old people off? :roll:
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)


Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5943
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by sanfordandson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Didn't trump fix healthcare costs yet? I thought we were gonna have the best coverage with no cuts and it will be less expensive for everybody??

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4038
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by Walter R. Malik » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Ken0069 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 am
Got a letter from Cigna Tuesday stating that my Medicare part B supplement insurance that I've only had for 10 months will increase from $139 per month to $173.62 a month come July 1, 2018? That's a 25% INCREASE??? WTF???

Went and talked to an Insurance Specialist in town yesterday to see where I stand with this and what I came away with is that I'm basically screwed because I can't just leave and go to another company. If I cancel this policy, that Agent told me that I might not be able to find another company that will sell me B Supplement coverage and that they are NOT required by law to do so.

And back in January my Medicare Part B insurance premium that's deducted directly from my checy went up from $109 a month to $134 that took all but $1.60 of the $27.83 COLA we got in January. Now my Part B Supplement is going up 25% to $173.62, which is about a $35 increase. That and my Medicare Part D prescription drug plan went up from $14 to $20 this year!

So now I'm paying $327.62 per month out of my Social Security check for Medicare Health Insurance. [/whineoff]

Anyone else seen premium increases in their Medicare Supplement insurance premiums or is it just Cigna ripping us old people off? :roll:
The "Medicare" part B has not gone up ... your separate carrier is raising the price of what they charge for part B coverage including their supplement.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

User avatar
Ken0069
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4460
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Historic Appomattox County, Va
Contact:

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by Ken0069 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm
The "Medicare" part B has not gone up ... your separate carrier is raising the price of what they charge for part B coverage including their supplement.
Well, I beg to differ with you on this because the regular Medicare part B that comes out of my SS Check DID go up from $109 a month last year to $134 a month starting back in January of this year. THAT part B only covers 80% of what Medicare allows for covered services.

This latest increase is for the Cigna Part B SUPPLEMENT, which only covers the 20% that the regular Part B doesn't pay for covered services.

So the part B insurance that only covers 20% of the total charge is costing me $173.62 a month while the part B that covers 80% of the total charge is costing me $134.00?
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)


Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4038
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by Walter R. Malik » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Ken0069 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm
The "Medicare" part B has not gone up ... your separate carrier is raising the price of what they charge for part B coverage including their supplement.
Well, I beg to differ with you on this because the regular Medicare part B that comes out of my SS Check DID go up from $109 a month last year to $134 a month starting back in January of this year. THAT part B only covers 80% of what Medicare allows for covered services.

This latest increase is for the Cigna Part B SUPPLEMENT, which only covers the 20% that the regular Part B doesn't pay for covered services.

So the part B insurance that only covers 20% of the total charge is costing me $173.62 a month while the part B that covers 80% of the total charge is costing me $134.00?
Recently didn't increase from the $134.00 ... but, forget it, sorry I replied at all. It certainly was not to cause an argument
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

User avatar
Ken0069
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4460
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Historic Appomattox County, Va
Contact:

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by Ken0069 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:13 pm
Recently didn't increase from the $134.00 ... but, forget it, sorry I replied at all. It certainly was not to cause an argument
Not an argument Walter, was just stating facts. My Medicare that comes out of my SS check was only $109 BEFORE January of 2018. That 2% COLA that we started getting in January was taken from me when they raised my Part B premium from $109 to $134 and I only got a $1.60 increase in my check.

Seems that some ppl, including me, were only paying $109 last year while others (like you) were already paying $134.

But the real killer for me was that 25% increase in my Part B Supplement I get from Cigna Insurance!!?? Have to wonder how often THAT is going to happen?? I may have to go back to work if that keeps up.

Just saying............................
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)


Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9215
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Mine went up last year but so did my Social Security benefits. So the net has been a $10 increase in my Social Security check. The rest went to Medicare.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9215
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:05 pm
Didn't trump fix healthcare costs yet? I thought we were gonna have the best coverage with no cuts and it will be less expensive for everybody??
He is trying. However the dimoKKKRATS and John McCain blocked the passage of the bill.

enigma57
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:59 pm
Location: Galt's Gulch

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by enigma57 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am

Ken, this is one reason why I chose to opt out Plan B Medicare and any other plans that would have money taken out of what little Social Security I draw. Made that decision 8 years ago when I was 62 and started drawing my Social Security.

My wife is 12 years younger and still working. I am covered under her healthcare plan at her work and will remain so until she retires. If I am still around then, we'll decide what to do from that point onward. Might go to the VA if I have to, but don't particularly trust them following my experiences with them many years ago.

Initially, it cost around the same to remain on my wife's policy as the $100 per month out of my Social Security check would have cost. Even though she has a really good policy at her work (it has always covered pre-existing conditions), our out of pocket expenses have steadily increased since this Obamacare mess was pushed on us all (no, we don't have it, but it affects us in a negative way just the same). But on balance..... I still get better care and greater choice of doctors not having to go to a doctor who takes Medicare. Many doctors here have stopped taking patients on Medicare and a few have stopped taking insurance altogether and only take cash. Which allows them to charge less than when they had to employ additional staff to deal with insurance claims.

Wish you all the best,

Harry

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7944
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Cigna Medicare Part B Supplent Insurance?

Post by pdq67 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 am

Let's see here....

No wall!

The illegals are still here and living off us just fine!

ACA is still in existence and hasn't been rescinded!!

We are still in the ME!!

We still being f** to death financially!

Education sucks!

More drugs than ever on our streets!

And on and on and on!!

So THEY, the 545 want everything this way or things would change!

pdq67

Post Reply