Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Anyone Speak Spanish?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Ken, make a recording of one of the commercials. There are linguist forums that would be happy to help.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

If you have a smartphone download the Google translate app. The app will do voice translation as well as photos not to mention the usual typed words.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I briefly tried researching Ken's question. The problem is that Spanish has many local variants with idiomatic phrases (just like English).

A good analogy would be in the film, The Limey, where the antagonist refers to his "China" which is British prison slang for friend. "Mate" rhymes with "plate" and so you have "China plate" reducing to "China". A long time ago in a far away galaxy I studied linguistics in graduate school.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

:D I assure you, that is not the first time I have heard that joke, Ken.
Felix C

Post by Felix C »

Ja-va means Go Now or he(she) is going now. going as in proceeding to take some action.
Ja-va Ja(also Ya) means He(she) is going now. Could also as it is a commercial that would be a call to action. as in (You) Go now. and the finally ja(ya) is don't delay or already!

Hope that helps.

Hahahaha.
Came into post something about how FI has ruined NA builds and found this and well my rant is gone due to the humor in this thread.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

:lol: I remember the Chevy Nova. No-va = doesn't go in Spanish. I still remember Señor Justiz, a refugee from Cuba, who taught us Spanish in junior high.

Ok, I see Snopes is trying to debunk this. So ... story number two:

I spoke with the gentleman -- many years ago -- who ran the Willys-Interlagos plant in Brazil (Portuguese) and who told me that the Dauphine had a nickname that roughly (going from memory here) meant "goes to powder" because they weren't designed for rough roads.

Here we go, (translated from Portuguese):
https://wikivisually.com/lang-pt/wiki/Renault_Dauphine wrote:The Willys version
The Dauphine was Willys-Overland's first touring car, which already produced the Willys Rural Utility and Jeep Willys . It was launched with a four cylinder engine, 845 cubic centimeters of displacement and power of 26,5cv, that had the name of Ventoux . Light, easy to drive, cheap and economical, consumption was between 14.5 and 17 kilometers per liter. The Dauphine became popular quickly. One of his biggest highlights was the Aerostable independent suspension , with air-filled rubber bags that hardened according to the vehicle's load.

However, this suspension, designed for the European roads, caused a series of problems in the precarious Brazilian roads of the time, and the fragility soon gave to the Dauphine a bad reputation with the Brazilian public (was that the nickname " Milk Glory ", based on the advertising of the time of the instant powder milk that had as slogan the phrase "Desmancha without knocking." In addition, as the car flipped with some ease, Brazilian good humor again did not forgive: He called for the suspension of "Aerocapotable."