Jumper cables and a small battery tender?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Jumper cables and a small battery tender?

Post by pdq67 »

What's everybody using here?

I would really like to have a 20' set of real copper jumper cables, but don't want to have to sell my wonderful grandbaby girl!!

Now for a CHEAP -- DECENT battery charger/tender?

Please post up prices and where they can be bought that you TRUST!!

Thanks,

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Jumper cables and a small battery tender?

Post by pdq67 »

Well, I went to Walmart last night and bought a Schumacher SJ1290 1,000 amp battery charger. (Peek Amps).

I haven't opened it, but the seal says to, "Charge immediately upon opening"??? And on the front, it says, "Swivel AC Plug", "Energy efficient ECO charger for internal battery. (Extension cord not included.)".

I'm guessing that it has an internal battery that has to be maintained for it to operate, Right?

Now do I want a battery charger that might end up with a dead internal battery in it??

I don't want to baby-sit the charger all the time to make sure that I can use it! Should I take it back and get an old-fashioned, charger so I don't have the internal battery hassle?

I want to be able to jump my car when the battery goes flat is basically all I want, that and recharge it...

Please advise, Thanks,

pdq67
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Battery jumpers work well but are not a charger. 2 different animals. Make another trip.
If you expect the battery to go flat at home just buy a plug in charger with enough power to jump start.

IF it goes flat on the road then you have other issues not related to buying a battery charger.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Dave,

I took the battery containing charger back to Walmart and went and bought a Harbor Freight Tool, "Cen-Tech" # 60581, 2/10/50 battery charger.

It has no bells and whistles on it just like an old-fashioned one. No internal battery, etc., etc...

I figure that if it works, fine and if not, so be it.. At least I now have one just in case??

pdq67
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:21 pm What's everybody using here?

I would really like to have a 20' set of real copper jumper cables, but don't want to have to sell my wonderful grandbaby girl!!

Now for a CHEAP -- DECENT battery charger/tender?

Please post up prices and where they can be bought that you TRUST!!

Thanks,

pdq67
There's a guy on E-bay that sells various lengths of wire often described as welding cables for very fair prices including shipping. He also sells SO cord. I bought 75 feet of 8/3 SO for around 150 bucks shipped. I can't remember but I would think you could get 50 feet of 2 gauge welding cable for $80 shipped. Don't hold to that my memory is crap.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I bought 2g welding cable for when I finally get around to installing my battery in my trunk. I got it at an industrial supply house here in town that sold welding supplies.

It wasn't all that much including (4) ends. It is black, "rubber", covered. I'm thinking 25' for two battery cables??

pdq67
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm Dave,

I took the battery containing charger back to Walmart and went and bought a Harbor Freight Tool, "Cen-Tech" # 60581, 2/10/50 battery charger.

It has no bells and whistles on it just like an old-fashioned one. No internal battery, etc., etc...

I figure that if it works, fine and if not, so be it.. At least I now have one just in case??

pdq67
The less frills the better. My $80 2/40/200 Schumacher from K Mart 25-30 years ago just keeps on taking abuse. Some of the newer Schumacher's are crap. When I worked for a recycling company the WalMart return center sent us many of them. We could usually play with them and get to charge but the bells and whistles never work.