Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Is where you talk about car betterys ?

Post by oldhead »

They all have glue on labels,That means one or two companys are making them and and you are paying for the label,they same battery sells for different price. where do you get the good ones at the lowest price?:):):):)Oldhead
Quicker then most
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Is where you talk about car betterys ?

Post by Keith Morganstein »

There are three major producers of batteries in the USA, Johnson Controls, East Penn manufacturing, and Exide.

They put different labels on them, but all batteries are not the same...

I attended a Johnson controls presentation and they said they make them to different specs and for different price points. The better batteries have more lead in them. There is also differences in construction and the cell/plate separators.

I'm seeing a lot of Chinese batteries showing up now.

If I wanted a good battery and not the cheapest. I'd buy an AGM battery.

Odyssey and XS brand AGM batteries get good ratings. I have experince with Odyssey, they've been very good in a tough environment.

There are codes on the battery for the manufacturer. I think you can look at the MSDS for the battery and find it that way too.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:24 pm ..... The better batteries have more lead in them. There is also differences in construction and the cell/plate separators......
So, within the same group size the battery that weighs more should be better? Back in 87 I bought a new Dodge D-50 that had what looked like a Japanese battery in it. It lasted longer than any other lead acid battery that I ever had.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

tresi wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:14 pm
Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:24 pm ..... The better batteries have more lead in them. There is also differences in construction and the cell/plate separators......
So, within the same group size the battery that weighs more should be better? Back in 87 I bought a new Dodge D-50 that had what looked like a Japanese battery in it. It lasted longer than any other lead acid battery that I ever had.
That was one part, but said construction has a lot to do with how long the battery lasts. He claimed the AGM battery can last twice as long. (But they are expensive)
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:08 pm
tresi wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:14 pm
That was one part, but said construction has a lot to do with how long the battery lasts. He claimed the AGM battery can last twice as long. (But they are expensive)
Well that was half serious and half a joke but yes I know what you mean by construction techniques.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

Costco

They're using Interstate (Johnson Controls) now.

Don't have much of a selection. So you might have to improvise to make it fit. (I took the battery box out of a Ford Focus, and took it with me to find one that fit)

42 month warranty, no pro-rating. Get your purchase price back if it fails within 42 months. (plus current core charge (because you won't have a core when you buy new battery (so if you have extra batteries laying around, you effectively get a discount in the amount of the core charge when you get the new battery)))

I predict a lot of battery failures at 41 months.
Ed
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

emsvitil wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:39 am Costco

I predict a lot of battery failures at 41 months.
:lol:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:24 pm The better batteries have more lead in them.
Can be a big difference in the weight.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/ ... batteries/