Looking for reading materiel,

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

The Badger

Looking for reading materiel,

Post by The Badger »

Looks like ill be laid up for awhile because of work accident, need some good reading. Anything related to Engine design, humor, or anything that reads like some of smokey yunicks "best damn garage" would be what I am after. So any suggstions?
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Looking for reading materiel,

Post by pdq67 »

I waded through Thomas Wolfe's epic novel, "Look Homeward Angel", and saw my family in it as well as some of the people around me.

It's a big book so will take some time to read it.

Look Homeward, Angel - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Homeward,_Angel

Look Homeward, Angel: A Story of the Buried Life is a 1929 novel by Thomas Wolfe. It is Wolfe's first novel, and is considered a highly autobiographical American ...
History, Style, Plot, Critical reputation, Stage adaptation

Wolfe wrote four great classic books.

Look Homeward Angel;
Of Time and the River;
You can't go home again; and
The Web and the Rock;

plus other stuff.

All great by me.

pdq67
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

How technical do you like your engine books? I have engine books from the Rolls Royce heritage trust that are excellent general topical reading .

If you are into aircraft engine design and development ,the following books are hard to pass ; 'R4360' by White , 'V is for victory' [Allison v1710] by Whitney or 'Allied aircraft piston engines' by White.

If you are more interested in the actual design and materials of engines 'Automotive engine design' by Crouse and the 'Internal combustion engine in theory and practice ' 2vols by Taylor give great understanding of why things are made the way they are.

There are heavier books to read like 'Engine failure analysis ' by Greuter and Zima , or 'Design and simulation of the four stroke engine ' by Blair ,both of these get into areas most would not look at.

Finally, for lighter reading 'The romance of engines' by Suzuki , Its not the Suzuki you are thinking of ,and don't be fooled by the title,its a great read.
All of the above books are illustrated as well.

Or,,, you could by a bunch of the old 'National Lampoon' and 'Viz' magazines online and piss yourself laughing for The duration!

Either way ,as long as you come out the other end of your convalescence healthier and enlightened is paramount.

Cheers.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I have read dozens of auto performance books. This one IMO summed up best the overall view of logical intelligent race mindset thinking with reasoning, rather then a normal "how to book", more a "why". It is not engine or drag racing specific, more entire car set-up in the handing arena. Best Quote regarding cars, "everything effects everything else"

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Fast-Racer ... 1451558759

A rather interesting non fiction recent release:

https://www.amazon.com/Killers-Flower-M ... 0385534248

An indirectly related very under reported historical national tragedy, ironically very close to the the above, and rather disturbing:

https://www.amazon.com/Burning-Massacre ... 0312302479

And while we are on the topic of dark history, shocking actually, as this this ordeal had a nearly 50? year unfolding:

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Water-Atti ... 0375423222

Enjoy
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

thank you all, I will definitely look into some of the books that were mentioned, now to go to ebay and find a ton of old lampoon magazines that are twice as old as I am :lol:
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Good move mate, i subscribed to 'Nat Lamp' from its inception till its demise and have kept every copy , i still pull one out regularly for a good dose of senseless, puerile, inane, informed entertainment, luckily they were printed before PC .
If you can get your hands on some 'Viz' you will be similarly impressed,get a copy of their "Roger's Profanisaurus ,,The Magnafarta" and your vocabulary will be enhanced in ways you could never thought existed !!
You could even get some old "Cracked or Mad" for light reading.
Tech books are great but sometimes your brain needs a circuit breaker . Wife see's these as one on my flaws as well.

Cheers.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Light, funny reading!

"Mad magazine!".

pdq67
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Many businessmen, Christian or not, are reading the book of Proverbs. It has 31 chapters, one per day and lots of wisdom that is timeless.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Just started non fiction "Raven Rock", basically history of the US government to save themselves in a nuke exchange, so they can continue to govern who ever survives on their own.