Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Re: Historic Englishtown Raceway Park Shuts Down Drag Racing

Post by 427dart »

That's a real shame! They don't have enough area customers for just weekly drag racing?
My local track down here in Va. VMP seems to have more "circus " events than good ol' drag racing and I'm surprised they are still keeping the gates open.
One thing they could do is wrap up a nice weekly cruise-in thing with grudge racing for the cruisers...something like we all used to do back in the day when we would park in the Shoney's and then head out for some stoplight action!

I remember going up there for the great 5.0 Mustang shoot out events and what a GREAT time that was!!
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Its not blatantly stated in the attached article that I saw clearly why no more drag racing? Are the races run at a loss, is this insurance, noise, safety upgrades needed related, etc?
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

j-c-c wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:48 am Its not blatantly stated in the attached article that I saw clearly why no more drag racing? Are the races run at a loss, is this insurance, noise, safety upgrades needed related, etc?
Because except for a few events, the drag strip is relatively dead and an insurance company wants to lease the space. They'll make more money leasing the drag strip / parking area than they would running it as a drag strip, and that's before counting the overhead!

The motocross, karting track, and the drift course are pretty popular.
-Bob