Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Historic Englishtown Raceway Park Shuts Down Drag Racing

Post by Ken0069 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Historic Englishtown Raceway Park Shuts Down Drag Racing :(
Written by Evan J. Smith on January 23, 2018

From THIS article!
The drag racing world was dealt a devastating blow with the announcement that Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in New Jersey will no longer host drag racing on its iconic quarter- or eighth-mile drag strips. The news sent a shockwave through the racing community, leaving a gaping hole in a market spanning from New York to Philadelphia.

Old Bridge Township Raceway Park opened on July 4th 1965 and has since been a family owned and operated business. Late brothers Richard and Vincent “Vinny” Napoiello, their father Vincent Sr., and his brother Louis built the facility in once rural New Jersey, and for 52 years the Napp family has presented NHRA-sanctioned drag racing events, AMA-sanctioned motocross racing, motocross practice, auto swap meets, auto shows, top rated drifting events, competition karting events, alternative motorsport and lifestyle events, athletic endurance events, history-making concerts, music festivals and much more. Additionally, Vinnie Napp is credited for created the very first Jr. Dragster and for kick-starting the NHRA Jr. Dragster League.
Known simply as “Englishtown,” the track has hosted weekly racing, specialty events, but it’s most well known for its crown jewel, the NHRA Summernationals, a major stop on the NHRA Mello Yello professional racing tour.

“NHRA drag racing events have been held at the track in Englishtown for almost 50 years,” said NHRA president Glen Cromwell. “The Summernationals have played an important part in our heritage, and we hope that fans in the area will try to make it to another one of our events. Our focus remains on making the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing series a memorable experience for our fans, racers, sponsors, partners and tracks.” (read more)
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Re: Historic Englishtown Raceway Park Shuts Down Drag Racing

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm

They will never shut down a foot ball place.

427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:40 am

That's a real shame! They don't have enough area customers for just weekly drag racing?
My local track down here in Va. VMP seems to have more "circus " events than good ol' drag racing and I'm surprised they are still keeping the gates open.
One thing they could do is wrap up a nice weekly cruise-in thing with grudge racing for the cruisers...something like we all used to do back in the day when we would park in the Shoney's and then head out for some stoplight action!

I remember going up there for the great 5.0 Mustang shoot out events and what a GREAT time that was!!

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:43 pm

427dart wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:40 am
My local track down here in Va. VMP seems to have more "circus " events than good ol' drag racing and I'm surprised they are still keeping the gates open.
My Wife and I were married at VMP back in 1996 at the Super Chevy Show and Drags. We were married on Saturday morning in the BF Goodrich tent and made it to the quarter finals in the race on Sunday. Ah yes, back in the day!!

Our Super Chevy Wedding HERE
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:48 am

Its not blatantly stated in the attached article that I saw clearly why no more drag racing? Are the races run at a loss, is this insurance, noise, safety upgrades needed related, etc?

hoffman900
Guru
Guru

Post by hoffman900 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:15 am

j-c-c wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:48 am
Its not blatantly stated in the attached article that I saw clearly why no more drag racing? Are the races run at a loss, is this insurance, noise, safety upgrades needed related, etc?
Because except for a few events, the drag strip is relatively dead and an insurance company wants to lease the space. They'll make more money leasing the drag strip / parking area than they would running it as a drag strip, and that's before counting the overhead!

The motocross, karting track, and the drift course are pretty popular.
-Bob