Hardware Related Computer Security Problem!

Open

Moderator: Team

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Hardware Related Computer Security Problem!

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:51 pm

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/01/03 ... ows-linux/

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou ... story=5065
Many technology websites are abuzz this week with news of multiple bugs in Intel processors which can leak critical kernel information to programs running on the operating system. This could potentially leak user credentials or security keys to any malicious program or user on the system.

CNXSoft reports, "Many security bugs can be fixed without performance penalty, but according to reports Intel processors have a hardware bug - whose details have not been disclosed yet (embargo) - that seems to affect all operating systems including Windows, Linux, macOS, etc, and the fix may lead to significant performance hits for some tasks."

Working around the bug seem to slow down systems by 5% to 30%, depending on the task being monitored. It has been reported that, apart from Intel x86 processors, ARM64 CPUs are also affected. Tom Lendacky, a Linux developer working for AMD, has stated that AMD x86 processors are not affected by one of the bugs, but other, related bugs appear to affect all x86 processors.. Patches for all major operating systems are expected in be released during the month of January 2018.

The openSUSE News page has more details on the multiple processor issues.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Re: Hardware Related Computer Security Problem!

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 am

I thought I heard or read along time ago that intel was purposely doing that for nice places like the nsa and such. So whats the problem?

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 am

Here's a link to some info on the Meltdown and Spectre virus flaw in Intel computer chips. Most of the fixes I've seen has been related to Windowz 10 and 8.1 with pretty much no mention of Wndows 7 or XP. Since Firefox is still supporting those operating systems there will be "some" upgrades done to lessen the chance of infections, whic Microsoft has said haven't happened yet.

Note that one article I read stated that Microsoft's fix isn't compatible with some 3rd party antivirus software so you might want to check on whatever you are running to make sure you're system is protected.

How to protect yourself from Meltdown and Spectre CPU flaws

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix- ... droid-ios/
Practically every modern processor is vulnerable. We're updating this list of fixes as they become available.

Other browsers

Mozilla, Microsoft and Apple each said they'll update their web browsers to reduce the threat of the new attack methods. Mozilla began updating its current Firefox 57 and Microsoft will modify both its Internet Explorer and new Edge browsers.

The work is only beginning for Microsoft. "We will continue to evaluate the impact of the CPU vulnerabilities ... and introduce additional mitigations accordingly in future servicing releases," Edge product leader John Hazen said in a blog post.

Mozilla has already released the first of two near-term fixes in the current version of Firefox, and it's working on the second now. Its less frequently updated Enterprise Support Release version of Firefox is not as susceptible to the new attacks, but Mozilla plans an update for the next version of Firefox ESR on Jan. 23.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Big Boyz Toyz!

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:41 pm

So then AMD is the better processor to go with then?

midnightbluS10
Pro
Pro

Post by midnightbluS10 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 am
I thought I heard or read along time ago that intel was purposely doing that for nice places like the nsa and such. So whats the problem?
Purposely leaking NSA user credentials and security keys? Where'd you read that? Seems to me that if it were the case, they could be charged with treason, etc... Purposely releasing NSA security keys and user credentials? And no ones arrested or in federal prison?
Justin C.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:41 pm
So then AMD is the better processor to go with then?
Depends on who's talking. I've read where some say that AMD, especially the older chips, aren't affected but others say they are. I'm not an expert so I can't say one way or the other.

Important thing to note though is that right now "they" say the only "fix" is via a security patches on all operating systems, which most seem to have already started doing.

On my multi-boot systems I use Linux Mint 17.3 most of the time, especially for secure online stuff and it is "suppose" to have been patched already.

Big Boyz Toyz!