Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
ancestryDNA

Post by pdq67 »

Anybody done it?

Or have I missed a thread about it?

My Daughter gave it to me for an Xmas present, should I tell her to send it back and get her money back or do it?

Oh, how much does the package/kit cost?

pdq67
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: ancestryDNA

Post by Dave Koehler »

I will refrain from riffing off on this. Too easy.
It's a gift. Go for it.
You may be related to .........
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

It's really cool. I did mine last year and it came back totally different that what our family grew up believing.

We all knew our grandparents on one side immmigrated from Scotland, yet it turns out we are only 2% scotch heritage.. it mostly Irish and 25% Scandinavian. With some French, Greek and Native American.

You get a detailed report of how people immigrated around the world hundreds of years ago specific to your mix.

I only paid $99
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

The paranoid side of me says "they" are using it to build a database to track everyone.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

It's not as specific about your family tree as the commercials lead you to think. It's mostly to tell you how much of a mutt you are versus being a pure breed. Still cool though and it was a gift so I would do it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Ken0069 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm
woody b wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 pm The paranoid side of me says "they" are using it to build a database to track everyone.
And YOU are paying "them" to do that! :shock: You just couldn't make that shit up!! =D>
Before cell phones everyone laughed at the thought of being tracked every minute of everyday, now people gladly pay for their tracking device and carry if willingly everywhere they go.

The problem with deception is that it is deceitful!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Ken0069 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 pm

And YOU are paying "them" to do that! :shock: You just couldn't make that shit up!! =D>
Before cell phones everyone laughed at the thought of being tracked every minute of everyday, now people gladly pay for their tracking device and carry if willingly everywhere they go.

Just an FYI for you. My cell phone is off about 23 hours a day! I only turn it on about 3 times a day to check messages after which I turn it OFF again. But yeah, I hear what you are saying...........................
You don't think that THEY know that?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Just an FYI for you. My cell phone is off about 23 hours a day! I only turn it on about 3 times a day to check messages after which I turn it OFF again. But yeah, I hear what you are saying...........................
One time a friend of mine pulled the batteries out of his cellphone because we were having heated political discussion!

He was afraid of THEM monitoring his Cellphone regardless if it was on or off? I don't know??

pdq67
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Some feel this is a tracking device on the battery it's self?

Secret Layer of Samsung Phone Battery - Remove Tracking !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UrctDr78U

The only way out is to never get in, once your in there is no way out. 8)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

I need to add to my earlier post. I would never pay a penny for it, but if it was a gift I'd probably do it.....or send them a swab from my dog.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Ken0069 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:21 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 pm

You don't think that THEY know that?
Yeah, I do realize "THEY" know when it's on or off, BUT, there's no way for them to track your movements between towers unless it's ON. I've watched enough Cops TV shows to know the FBI's limitations on this. NSA "MAY" have something else "they" can use to track me when it's OFF but logic would say that without the power being on that can't happen and if it could, then the FBI would be using that technology to solve crimes. That and the phone I have from Consumer Cellular is made in Sweden, not the USA. Just saying.................
Man, talk about paranoid. Guys like you are the EASIEST to track,, I was good friends with a super smart IT guy where I used to work and when they installed gps trackers in our company vehicles everyone went nuts....he told me the gps was not as good at tracking and knowing every move you make as you having a cell phone

It doesn't matter if your phones off or on.. do a little test, shut down all your apps and any other websites your on.. clear all your history settings and tracking within your phone. check how much power you have left.. then turn it off for a day.

Then turn it back on... your power consumed while it was off is what was used to run things . It's still pinging off towers while off.. our IT guy proved it to us with a printed out report which gave gps latitude and longitude throughout the day.. we were stunned

Look at what Apple is getting sued for right now.. they slowed down a lot of older iPhones during the launch of a new one, so people would get frustrated and purchase new... ya, they went into your phone and slowed it down

Another thing..there is an app called find my phone.. its for if you lose or misplace your phone..you use another phone to call yours and yours can be located with a map and it shows exactly where it is.. wether it's on or OFF!

Wake up mr paranoid Hahahaha
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I am at a stage in life, if they have been tracking me, they have likely given up long ago.

On DNA, the pitch is its a limited test, and nothing is supposed to be retained, nor disclosed. I throw away publicly fast food empty drinking cups everyday, so my dna is already fairly available.

That said, no point in making it easier for them, and not much reason to trust them,based on history.

I will get the test before I check out, for my kids sake, and the fact i have an adopted parent from the early part of the century with a very sealed adoption record.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I quite regularly leave my phone at home , i have not purchased alcohol with a credit card for years .
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

hoodeng wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 am I quite regularly leave my phone at home , i have not purchased alcohol with a credit card for years .
THEY can't trace OR access your cellphone if it is in a, "Faraday Cage", right?

And right about buying booze using cash! No traceable ID input as I see it!

That's what gets me about EBT cards or whatever they are!

Our f** Gov. can find out just what those on the f** DOLE buy, so if they buy the wrong shit, then pull the f** CARD!!

pdq67
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Who would have thought a 2"x3" piece of plastic ,a phone and online presence would give as much specific information about us as a DNA test does in another aspect?
When pretty much all of your activity ,life ,association and location can be viewed when a person in a position of digital access just presses enter once your name is highlighted ,no footwork or sleuth skill required. My take on it is that the systems used to store our activities is not as secure as the holders of our information tell us and the future of digital security even today is tenuous at best.
The biggest problem for governments is how to use information it can access without looking intrusive to the average citizen ,if information was publicly used to out welfare recipient fraud , it would take nothing for the law abiding citizen to realize the same scrutiny will be applied to them .

We are told "if you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" this may be true, but the idea of faceless individuals trawling my life looking for a grain to trip me up on, I'm afraid this concerns me.
Who knows what new laws in the future we are breaking now or whether scrutiny would be applied retrospectively to comply with those laws,we have supplied all the information anyway.
The DNA screen? i would have to say if i knew the information would be mine only i would be intrigued to have a look ,i know of three nationality lineages in my ancestry as it is! I'm a bit of a mixed bag.
In the 70's mum and dad paid for a heraldry search to find the family 'coat of arms' ,,,,,well,,,,, my opinion was the heraldry search company made some easy money ,but we did end up with a 'coat of arms' ! with my last name being associated with the clothing trade meant the shield had cloth stuff and some blue and white Cris cross mumbo jumbo happening on it ,for the life of me i could not envision an army division charging into battle with that held at the vanguard.

Cheers.