Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Question about crate engine outfits

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I'm not a fan of crate engines either, but I can't fault the builder/rebuilder for wanting a shop installer. Even then there are plenty of hacks. There is even less chance of a competent install with the spectrum of DIY installations.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Any rebuilder, large or small, deals with this every day. The buyer often won't buy the recommended new radiator and/or oil cooler and water pump and thermostat. The old ones, full of years and miles of crud, contaminate the build before it ever starts.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

They certainly use the "warranty" to convince you to buy from them, but, good luck when you need to use it. One, the first thing, send us the engine, oh, at your expense by the way. Then, we will tear it apart, and determine the cause of the failure, and IF it wasn't one of the 5,386 reasons that would void the warranty, see the fine print, then, we will give you an estimate for repair. ???? Excuse me? Estimate for repair?? It has a warranty. Yah, sorta, but not really. It is an insurance policy we purchase from a separate entity, that only covers a small % of the total amount. Again, see the fine print. IF the amount falls below that amount, then, you will be lucky and it won't cost you anything, oh, except the shipping back to you.

Or, I know a local guy that says, includes same as gm's warranty. Which means, oh, you broke a rod? Here is your replacement rod. Well, what about the big hole in the block? The damaged heads, and broken cam? Cause and affect. The "cause" was the rod breaking. The affect was all the other damage, that's not covered. Its NOT, "Hello crate engine shop, yah, I broke my crate engine this weekend, you know, the one that has a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty" Crate engine shop: "oh, sorry to hear that, we are very sorry, we will send you another one right away, no charge, it will be there by Wednesday" That's what people think. Some will him haw around, beat around the bush, not call you back, and then finally send you some bearings, and rings, and maybe a set of pistons, for you to PAY someone else to fix it.

I do know of a few high end marine engine places, that offers a 1 year unlimited hour use warranty, on engines of a certain power level and below. But, your paying $26,000 for a 620hp 540, with a Dart block, Scat crank and rods, Je pistons, hydraulic roller cam, the only machine work done is hone cylinders to 4.5, and a balance on rotating assembly. But, they hype them up and, will replace the engine. But, your paying double literally the true cost of the engine, with a nice profit included. But, I have heard, they DO honor the warranty. Then they fix the other engine and it ends up on offshore only for $9,995. As a "refurbished" engine.