Problems at Pomona??

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Problems at Pomona??

Post by GARY C »

jimjamm65 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:42 pm I have been a drag racer, and attended many national events since 1962, and I watched the Pomona coverage on tv. what's scary to me is the lack of people in the stands. I could not believe the huge gaps in the pit bleachers, and this at the world finals! lack of fans is what will kill us in the end.
Same with NASCAR, the corporate model will kill these sports at the pro level.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
hotrodbob

Post by hotrodbob »

Irwindale is now closing and if Pomona, with as few races as it has goes away, there will be no racetracks left in all of LA County. We need to start a petition to stop the closures and promote common sense that if you move near a facility that makes noise it is not the facilities fault and you waive your right to complain. Who was there first should be the criteria. Not who has the best lawyer.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Your right Hotrodbob , action is paramount .Obviously zoning is controlled by the local council, so first line of commitment is from them if they will give you any, but it is important to get local councilors to commit and verbally on record to support the tracks existence and continuance for a foreseeable future .Next is the state government , who i expect have a minister for overseeing sport in California ,those people are next , same thing ,commitment and verbally on record in support of the track , if they are all squirrely on commitment ,then they know more than they are letting on ,and i would bet it's not in the tracks favor, but at least you will know where you stand.
If it does turn into a Councillor/politician non committal process for the existing track , campaign for a replacement site within a reasonable distance of the existing and see if they can be enticed down that path to a ' at no major cost impediment to the existing track stake holders' .
It has to be ownership ,no leases, there is nothing more slippery than old lease in the hands of a lawyer.
Plan ahead for all contingency's ,even the less palatable ones.
But i expect there are a number of people already motivated!

Cheers.
Monza Harry

Post by Monza Harry »

I know this is "Ancient" in terms of how internet posts go, but here are some thoughts I would like to share. I wholeheartedly agree that the track [or other noisy venue] was there first and that the buyer should have been aware! But form there the track can do some things right from their inception to help. First as this takes the most time, sell some rights for dumping of soil [maybe crushed concrete and stone] to create a raised berm to help with noise abatement (revenue generating), and then plant evergreen trees again as noise abatement, and a "Naturalized Area" it can't hurt to appear as a "Green Supporter" just about anywhere today this can also improve the appearance of the facility, which should b e a major concern because of the fact that encroachment is almost always from the wealthy. One more thing that comes to mind is that the track should hire local school age kids to do litter pick-up, this will bring young new life to the sport and help the parents realize the children work there and supply them with CA$H they don't have to and shows that litter matters to the tracks mindset as well! Just my thoughts on averting things we don't want to happen with a proactive/good neighbour approach. Also as a 2nd tier answer some solar panels over say the pit area for shade and Green revenue generation, and build as the financial model allows, just a starting place to run into the future with. Harry
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

NORSK wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 pm I was at the Pomona races
And i have to say i am surprised that it is possible to have a track with so many houses surrounding it nearby
Here in Europe that would be totally impossible,especcially with the noise a top fueler creates
That being said,it is always the "norm" that people seems to move close to a race track and THEN complaining about the noise
As far as deaths related to drugs,i think L.A area is quite used to that :)
People should visit Commerce NHRA dragstrip in Georgia ... it is right downtown. Although it is a small town.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Since this thread is revived, might as well pile on that circle track I mentioned previously is now shut down because they could no longer afford to fight the constant litigation from encroaching suburbanites. [-X
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

roc wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am I'm big race fan and I definitely find the associated traffic and noise justifiable. But not littering typically left behind on every racing venue I go. Attendees manners could improve.
That's an issue at any event and has been for a very long time. If it hasn't gotten better by now, it's not going to without interference/pressure/help from another party.

This is one of the reasons I love my local track. Nothing around there except farmland. And a very, very small town/village a few miles away. The management/owners are hacks but other than that, it was a great place when Nelson & Marla Hoyos, who managed OSW in Florida and now manage SGMP, were there.

Thunder Road Raceway Park
5700 Thunder Rd, Gilliam, LA 71029
(318) 296-4466

https://goo.gl/maps/Dv95r1RECAU2
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING