Problems at Pomona??

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Problems at Pomona??

Post by engineguyBill »

Thought I would post this here, assuming that a large percentage of folks here have (had) some exposure to drag racing at Pomona.

Recent newspaper article reports that the city of Pomona has put together a committee of council people to review the zoning laws that affect the LA County Fairplex, which is the site of the NHRA dragstrip - home of the Winternationals and Finals. Part of this endeavor is the result of nearby residents who say that traffic, noise and trash are affecting their "quality of life". If you look at old pictures of the Pomona dragstrip, there are virtually no homes visable on the surrounding hills. Now the area is covered with very nice, expensive homes. Did these people not look down the hill and see that there was a race track, small airport and fairgrounds already in place before they built (or bought) their expensive homes there?????

Seems like the city is very well aware of the national and international exposure (and millions of dollars to the local economy) that comes about as a result of NHRA National events at the Fairplex. BUT there is a possibility that NHRA may need to get permits to hold races there, which means that they may or may not be issued the necessary permits each year AND there is a possibility that NHRA may need to abide by a current rule (not enforced) which limits the number of attendees/spectators to 10,000 at any event.

Actually though the main focus or problem seems to be aimed at electronic concerts (raves) at which there have been more than one death attributed to drug overdose in the past couple of years. I say get rid of the damn concerts, if that is the problem and leave drag racing alone!! Sure hope the City of Pomona, LA County and NHRA can get this thing taken care of without screwing things up . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Problems at Pomona??

Post by SupStk »

+1. Yup, wonder about people who move in next door to an airport or race track then complain about the noise.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

They no doubt bought cheap. Once they force them to close down, instant increase in property values.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

This is far from a unique instance, sorry to say. Just looks like a high profile track is the one.

Even my own in-laws moved into a suburban sprawl neighborhood right across the highway from the sprint track we race at frequently, and they complain about the people and the noise. :roll: The track instituted a mandatory muffle rule to try to place nice, but still.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

its always stupid people that move in next to an airport, a dragstrip, or a gun range, and then expect those that were there first to change or go away.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Always thought that was an advantage of Firebird/Wild Horse Pass raceway near Phoenix. It's on reservation land and is owned by a tribal enterprise. That might bring on it's own set of problems but it will never be shut down by the high dollar residents encroaching on it from the north and east.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

I'm big race fan and I definitely find the associated traffic and noise justifiable. But not littering typically left behind on every racing venue I go. Attendees manners could improve.
NORSK

Post by NORSK »

I was at the Pomona races
And i have to say i am surprised that it is possible to have a track with so many houses surrounding it nearby
Here in Europe that would be totally impossible,especcially with the noise a top fueler creates
That being said,it is always the "norm" that people seems to move close to a race track and THEN complaining about the noise
As far as deaths related to drugs,i think L.A area is quite used to that :)
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the real estate agents are smart enough not to show homes when these activities are going on. I know of a person who bought a house and did not know the railroad tracks were right over the hill and the train went thru at 3 in the morning blowing its horn.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I went thru hell in 2013 getting a zoning law changed then having jump thru hoops again to get a conditional use permit when I opened a new fairgrounds track near my home...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
jimjamm65

Post by jimjamm65 »

I have been a drag racer, and attended many national events since 1962, and I watched the Pomona coverage on tv. what's scary to me is the lack of people in the stands. I could not believe the huge gaps in the pit bleachers, and this at the world finals! lack of fans is what will kill us in the end.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I believe if your dad was not into cars and racing you also will not be interested. my 24 year old grand son is into cars and racing because we took him to the races as a kid but none of his friends are into cars or racing. he dropped one girlfriend because she would not go to the races with him.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Start a campaign to show the residents how high their taxes will go if the track is shut down. At least you'll find out how many are true residents and how many are want to be house flippers.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

When the kids were looking to change address a while back the family's became involved and noted a number of things that would need their consideration ,no problem ,everything that could be a splinter was outed , they bought with eyes wide open.
Some years back a person i worked with at the time had a massive beef with the Air Force ,,, he bought a house in line with the end of a runway ,this was no ordinary runway , the field was a base for Orion's ,, hours and hours of fly around touch and go's by P3'C's were actually noted when buying , i can't guess what the land agent told him ,but i need to know , what a sales training module!!
Urban encroachment has affected our race track as well ,we night race ,so curfew's were placed ,I'm sure complaints by locals are still streaming through the councils mail box ,but the council has been fair in considering the tracks pre existence for many many years.
Many years back i worked in remote locations up north , the air force used to do supersonic stuff up there ,,,sounded great!!

Cheers.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

The resident have been trying to get rid of Pomona for years.

They will succeed, eventually.