CGT
Guru
Guru
Jon Kaase

Post by CGT »

Resized_20171003_135028.jpg
Resized_20171004_202829.jpg
A guy on another level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Jon Kaase

Post by RevTheory »

Pretty much!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

AND, the psychological stuff is usually not even recognized.

The clear plenum chamber under the carbs and the aluminum painted cast iron heads seemingly done to draw attention away from those block deck spacers. That kind of attention to detail of the whole package, all matters.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Randy, we could have had 2" deck plates and 10 head gaskets, all legal per the rules. I just wanted it to look close to stock for magazine and internet pictures. I tried my best to paint it in Ohio State Buckeyes team colors to honor my 95 year old father( one of the world's biggest Buckeyes fans). I changed the grey color on the pan and heads 3 times to even get close. The 2 decals on the front of the right valve cover are the ones the football players have on their helmets for outstanding efforts. Bischoff thought they were marijuana leaves!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

JonKaase wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am Randy, we could have had 2" deck plates and 10 head gaskets, all legal per the rules. I just wanted it to look close to stock for magazine and internet pictures. I tried my best to paint it in Ohio State Buckeyes team colors to honor my 95 year old father( one of the world's biggest Buckeyes fans). I changed the grey color on the pan and heads 3 times to even get close. The 2 decals on the front of the right valve cover are the ones the football players have on their helmets for outstanding efforts. Bischoff thought they were marijuana leaves!
We all did but we will take your word for it. :)

Love your Way Out Of The Box approach to engine building, I hope we get to see more down the road!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

What I have learned from Jon on his past two vintage engines:
Instead of just making the engine as good as it could be within it's original design. Fix the inherent shortcomings of the platform by modifying within the rules.

The "Y" block ford with its horizontal over/under ports. Instead of porting that configuration, completely modify the head to a much better vertical port.

Similar with the MEL, instead of working with the "chamber in cylinder" figure out how to make that engine have a more conventional efficient chamber.

It's all about analyzing the shortcomings, not settling for what you have to start with. Then figuring out how to make what you know would work better, within the rules.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I have to disagree with you on the Y Block ports being changed. The whole point of vintage engine competition to me is making the power and torque with the Y Block heads available to the public. Once you change those ports you have changed the whole nature of the engine and for those of us who actually own, drive, and like the Y Block engine family of Ford engines, the vertical ports are no longer considered Y Block. The horizontal ports are quite efficient in their own right when properly prepared, as witnessed by Ted Eaton's win with traditional port placement in 2016 with a Y Block. Yes, Jon is innovative, and quite intelligent, no question. But a Y Block has horizontal ports, and it should stay that way. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 pm I have to disagree with you on the Y Block ports being changed. The whole point of vintage engine competition to me is making the power and torque with the Y Block heads available to the public. Once you change those ports you have changed the whole nature of the engine and for those of us who actually own, drive, and like the Y Block engine family of Ford engines, the vertical ports are no longer considered Y Block. The horizontal ports are quite efficient in their own right when properly prepared, as witnessed by Ted Eaton's win with traditional port placement in 2016 with a Y Block. Yes, Jon is innovative, and quite intelligent, no question. But a Y Block has horizontal ports, and it should stay that way. Joe-71
Some "Y" block engines DID have vertical ports which were NOT "over & under".
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

JonKaase wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am Randy, we could have had 2" deck plates and 10 head gaskets, all legal per the rules. I just wanted it to look close to stock for magazine and internet pictures. I tried my best to paint it in Ohio State Buckeyes team colors to honor my 95 year old father( one of the world's biggest Buckeyes fans). I changed the grey color on the pan and heads 3 times to even get close. The 2 decals on the front of the right valve cover are the ones the football players have on their helmets for outstanding efforts. Bischoff thought they were marijuana leaves!
As I am from Michigan, I knew those stickers were "Buckeyes" but, I couldn't figure out just why they were there ... now I know. :)

Being "legal" and just looking "right" are two completely different things to me. I saw it but, I couldn't figure out that reasoning either ... till you took it apart. =D>
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I thought they were marijuana leaves as well, but didn't feel comfortable asking. It was a week after returning back to St. Louis, showing my nephew pictures that he said....."Oh a Buckeye fan!" :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CGT wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 am
I thought they were marijuana leaves as well, but didn't feel comfortable asking. It was a week after returning back to St. Louis, showing my nephew pictures that he said....."Oh a Buckeye fan!" :lol:
Yeah when he said something about the stickers on helmets I remembered seeing them on a game on tv but I thought they were marijuana leaves then as well... Maybe wishful thinking on my part back in the day. :D
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Some "Y" block engines DID have vertical ports which were NOT "over & under".

Weren't they the early Lincoln, "Y-block", engines?

pdq67
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

Yes the early Lincoln Y Block has conventional vertical paired intake ports..
The Ford iron y block head is a quite good piece even given the unconventional layout. A Lincoln Y head is only capable if 10-15 cfm more flow even though the ports are physically bigger.

It was a real pleasure partnering with Jon on the MEL engine.. He explained to me early on what he had in mind , but I really did not grasp it till all the parts were in place..What Jon did to that MEL chamber was worth about 100 hp vs the best effort with the stock configuration.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"What Jon did to that MEL chamber was worth about 100 hp vs the best effort with the stock configuration."

Please say more about what Jon did to the MEL combustion chamber to be able to produce that much more power.

Thanks,

pdq67
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

Moved the valves away from the cylinder walls more centered in the bore.. Gave the port a better short turn and created a modern shallow heart shape combustion chamber instead of the stock wedge