Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

9.5" deck C3 intake manifolds

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Are there any good C3 "Yates" head intake manifolds out there for a 9.5" deck height engine with those heads ...?

I am finding many which fit a 9.2" deck height but, nothing which directly fits a 9.5" deck height..
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro
Re: 9.5" deck C3 intake manifolds

Post by Joe-71 »

None with thermostat housing. I have been trying to find one for a couple of years to finish up a street 427W. May have to go with two water hoses into Y to work on street. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm None with thermostat housing. I have been trying to find one for a couple of years to finish up a street 427W. May have to go with two water hoses into Y to work on street. Joe-71

It does not need to have a thermostat housing but, DOES NEED to fit a 9.5" deck SVO block.
I would use the CHI Cleveland to Windsor "Clevor" housing kit which uses front water outlets in the heads.
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Oh boy. You’ll have to call me buddy. I have sum info for ya.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

If I can locate a #2991 Edelbrock intake for sale I would probably mill the deck .300" to get down to 9.2" as both SVO blocks are the same casting.
The threads of the head bolt holes don't even begin until a 1/2" below the present 9.5" deck.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

When trial fitting a Motorsports A-341 intake, it needed spacers. I tried a pair of the Edelbrock 350-2864 spacers, and with some machine work, relocating of holes, the manifold will work. I also think the Edelbrock 2863 intake might work better with custom spacers depending on how much the block is decked, and heads milled. The spacers would have to be milled accordingly, but should work. There is a valley cover available, also under part number 350-2833. Hope this helps. I have used spacers on several engines and picked up flow on the heads a small amount. So it is not a bad thing if you can have them made. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 am When trial fitting a Motorsports A-341 intake, it needed spacers. I tried a pair of the Edelbrock 350-2864 spacers, and with some machine work, relocating of holes, the manifold will work. I also think the Edelbrock 2863 intake might work better with custom spacers depending on how much the block is decked, and heads milled. The spacers would have to be milled accordingly, but should work. There is a valley cover available, also under part number 350-2833. Hope this helps. I have used spacers on several engines and picked up flow on the heads a small amount. So it is not a bad thing if you can have them made. Joe-71
20 years ago, Ford Performance had a manifold produced for this 9.5" deck purpose, M-9425-A351 but, over a whole summer I could not find even 1 to be had.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I have a new one of the A-351 manifolds, and I believe it still needs spacers to get it to match up with the Yates port. I haven't had time to check it for sure. The 253-3 gaskets will work with the bolt holes and a good trimming, so it may be the right manifold for what you need. My shortblock is not handy to get to at the moment, and the heads are awaiting more work, so I just haven't made the effort to double check everything, yet. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:42 pm I have a new one of the A-351 manifolds, and I believe it still needs spacers to get it to match up with the Yates port. I haven't had time to check it for sure. The 253-3 gaskets will work with the bolt holes and a good trimming, so it may be the right manifold for what you need. My shortblock is not handy to get to at the moment, and the heads are awaiting more work, so I just haven't made the effort to double check everything, yet. Joe-71
There were 2 different A351 intake manifolds ... the 9.2" deck manifold is group numbered 9424 and the 9.5" deck manifold is group numbered 9425.

The "restrictor" Ford Performance E351 manifolds are numbered that way, also.