Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Modern design and styling?

Post by hoodeng »

The designers got younger,that's what happened .... The stuff that appeals to the younger people today is not my cup of tea that's for sure. I have kept my old 07 Wide Glide, as the 08 was the last of the bob guard type.There is a bit of a rush on the last Dyna S at the moment due to the latest offerings.

Cheers.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

exhaustgases wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:30 amOne example is all the roof lines on all the new cars nowadays, they all look like a prius or VW beetle.
That's to reduce aerodynamic drag for better fuel mileage. The optimum shape from the point of largest cross sectional area back is for the roof to gradually slope down and the sides to slowly pinch in, so it mimics the rear portion of an airplane wing from the sides and from above. The max csa is usually put even with the driver, and from there to the front is only about half as important as the rear shape so you still see lots of variance in the front, but from max csa back most cars are converging on the same shape. Even my 2005 GMC 2500HD pickup truck has the bed taper so it is 3 or 4" narrower at the tailgate than right behind the cab. Naturally there are an infinite number of thickness-to-length ratios for a wing, with the lowest drag shapes usually the least practical for a vehicle shape so you still get some variation in the slope and taper angles, but that's the general shape we're stuck with from now on, sigh. Boring, just like NASCAR :lol: .
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Can't comment on chainsaws but if you want a great source on vehicle aerodynamics borrow a copy of the book "Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles: From Fluid Mechanics to Vehicle Engineering (Premiere Series Books)" by Wolf-Heinrich Hucho. Used copies are $75 at amazon so try interlibrary loan. I haven't read all of it yet but I'm working on it, and the shape I described came from there. There is also a good aerodynamics forum at www.ecomodders.com if you want some lighter reading; after a few posters quoted Hucho I decided I needed to have a copy 8) .
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Nosed loco's are hard to see across with a one man crew. But i agree nosed loco's look a lot better ,the old GM F7 /645 under power was a sight and sound experience!

Cheers.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

hoodeng wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:09 am Nosed loco's are hard to see across with a one man crew. But i agree nosed loco's look a lot better ,the old GM F7 /645 under power was a sight and sound experience! Cheers.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

The F7 that was run by the Commonwealth Railways in Australia did not have the lower cyclops head light ,only the upper set . The horn set was something else! on the one posted the horn set is roof mounted, but on the CR locos the set of 5 or so different note trumpets was mounted low , directly in the middle of the nose so vision around them was limited but the sound of a set of those letting rip on a still night was legendary!!

Cheers.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

IMHO, the '53 Stude. Loewy hardtop Coupe is timeless in design!

pdq67